Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bodes or trio in Leo?

Which is the smarter choice tonight, even though I'm expecting rain?

Moon looks close to trio, as it was when I tried two hours on it a week or two back (see below). Even with my meagre gear and skills I was disappointed even if my processing could be a bit better I just stopped.

Bodes/cigar turned out pretty well (for me) and moon is much further away. Maybe I should just add time to that? 

I no filters or any other of that kind of stuff :)BodesProcessed_2024-05-1213000sec3halfhoursrotatedcrop(1).thumb.jpg.4541560ccb987543cd1e6dca7feee24e.jpgLeoTrioProcessedRotated_2024-05-06.thumb.jpg.19f9f7045278032ed47ebdb986ea3d35.jpg

I tried the Triplet a couple of nights ago and the results were very disappointing, even the usually excellent Astro Pixel Processor couldn't cope with the cast of the moon.

• Like 1

If you're doing RGB without a narrow band filter (even with), do not waste time imaging if the moon is in the same quadrant, maybe even in the same half of the sky, especially when it's near full. You don't see it that much in a LP zone, but from a dark sky you can see the stark effect the moon has in blotting out the sky.

• Like 1

I probably wouldn't bother with a near full moon anywhere in the sky unless I was doing NB H-alpha, and even then would use a 3nm filter. Anything else is just wasting time and storage space.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I've imaged 7nm ha and S2 right next to the moon, one of the benefits of mono.

There must be some sort of correlation of clear skies and near full moon, pretty much happens every time an opportunity crops up. Could have gone off site, but what I want to image is where the moon is, typical.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, LaurenceT said:

I tried the Triplet a couple of nights ago and the results were very disappointing, even the usually excellent Astro Pixel Processor couldn't cope with the cast of the moon.

I did see mention somewhere  that it was a tricky target but didn't say why and as I noob I can't why it would be :)

16 minutes ago, Elp said:

If you're doing RGB without a narrow band filter (even with), do not waste time imaging if the moon is in the same quadrant, maybe even in the same half of the sky, especially when it's near full. You don't see it that much in a LP zone, but from a dark sky you can see the stark effect the moon has in blotting out the sky.

Yeah I thought it would still be ok, but seems not if only for me practicing. Bodes it is if moon is far enough I guess.

14 minutes ago, DaveS said:

I probably wouldn't bother with a near full moon anywhere in the sky unless I was doing NB H-alpha, and even then would use a 3nm filter. Anything else is just wasting time and storage space.

I guess I can play with my guiding if clear. Moon will be full but pretty low. Maybe I can find something in opposite side of sky to practice on.

9 minutes ago, Elp said:

I've imaged 7nm ha and S2 right next to the moon, one of the benefits of mono.

There must be some sort of correlation of clear skies and near full moon, pretty much happens every time an opportunity crops up. Could have gone off site, but what I want to image is where the moon is, typical.

Can't see me ever going mono and I don't want to buy filters before I get a osc.

I guess best I can do is use this as practice try and tweak my guiding.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

Can't see me ever going mono and I don't want to buy filters before I get a osc.

I guess best I can do is use this as practice try and tweak my guiding.

I thought same one year ago. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

try veil nebula

NGC188.png.eff62e7364fed42e0e7e39f2806868a5.png

Good question about what to do during moonlit nights. I'd usually recommend an open star-cluster, but there aren't any available until Cygnus rises later on. There's always ngc188 (<- map), but it's difficult to track and guide; during my last attempt, I spent more time adjusting the guiding than I did imaging.

Here (south-east Spain) It's light before the veil is high enough. Not sure where you are or what focal length you have but m57 is around 33º  and rising at midnight. Then there's m13 and m92. All bright enough to consider.

Cheers and HTH

Edited by alacant
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, alacant said:

Good question about what to do during moonlit nights. I'd usually recommend an open star-cluster, but there aren't any available until Cygnus rises later on. There's always ngc188 (<- map), but it's difficult to track and guide; during my last attempt, I spent more time adjusting the guiding than I did imaging.

Here (south-east Spain) It's light before the veil is high enough. Not sure where you are or what focal length you have but m57 is around 33º  and rising at midnight. Then there's m13 and m92. All bright enough to consider.

Cheers and HTH

I actuality shot m106 and got 59 x 1min subs before clouds. Then decided on veil nebula all on my own as it was high enough. I used Vegas earlier position as a guide.

My guiding changed from decent to the worst I've ever seen and gave you after maybe 20 x 1 mi. Subs.

Quick auto stretch of my m106 below I hope is the result of thin cloud I couldn't see with my eyes or in my subs. Hopefully that's why my auto guiding went bad.

Not bothered looking at my few veil subs.

Maybe I'll do better tonight with same two targets if there is less cloud ? :(

I appreciate the help though.cloudstacked.thumb.jpg.61e9ce9fae12c4e8ecc5b62b71807930.jpg

On 19/05/2024 at 11:37, alacant said:

Cheers and HTH

I did the veil nebula only 2 hours but I was really impressed. I have three post processed versions :)

This is the least over processed :)

ngc 6960 subtle rotated.jpg

If you use an lextreme filter or equivalent you'll REALLY see it pop, even with an unmodified camera (I tested the filter with an unmodded Sony, still picked up narrowband signal).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Elp said:

If you use an lextreme filter or equivalent you'll REALLY see it pop, even with an unmodified camera (I tested the filter with an unmodded Sony, still picked up narrowband signal).

Not keen on buying any filters before I can get a proper camera :(

also I think my flatteners filter hold is inside nose piece which I don't use, so I'd need a clip in or a filter drawer. I'd rather put that cash towards a camera.

even so I quite like my result from 2 hours and will try and add more time if I ever see a star ever again.

Edited by TiffsAndAstro
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

Not keen on buying any filters before I can get a proper camera :(

also I think my flatteners filter hold is inside nose piece which I don't use, so I'd need a clip in or a filter drawer. I'd rather put that cash towards a camera.

even so I quite like my result from 2 hours and will try and add more time if I ever see a star ever again.

Witchs Broom coloufull stars rotated.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Geoff Lister said:

Last night from my Seestar:-

1716592014905(LeoTriplet).thumb.jpg.1eaf0d94232b9d21980bd59de8b08e0f.jpg

Geoff

Really nice detail. Maybe a bit green noise though? 

My 2 hours of data are on my list to reprocess as I did it badly above :(

Edited by TiffsAndAstro

17 hours ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

Really nice detail. Maybe a bit green noise though? 

Yes. I was adjusting the app's brightness/contrast/saturation sliders, and I probably went a bit too high on the saturation.

Geoff

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Geoff Lister said:

Yes. I was adjusting the app's brightness/contrast/saturation sliders, and I probably went a bit too high on the saturation.

Geoff

Still far nicer than my over stretched attempt

• Thanks 1