Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Southern craters (15/05/24)

Kon

I captured the southern craters of the moon last night and by flipping it 180 degrees, it gives it a rather close perspective. Skywatcher 300P Flextube goto,  asi462mm, IR pass 685nm, 2.5x TV powermate.

image.thumb.png.851cd330996404fb42941b60abb2733c.png

• Like 14

I really enjoy viewing and imaging this part of the Moon , Youve captured it well Kostas.

Was out last night also trying some closeups but the seeing was poor, tonight is my last chance to image the moon before it gets too low to image at a decent phase, swapping the newt out for the refractor this weekend for some solar imaging.

Mark

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Astroscot2 said:

I really enjoy viewing and imaging this part of the Moon , Youve captured it well Kostas.

Was out last night also trying some closeups but the seeing was poor, tonight is my last chance to image the moon before it gets too low to image at a decent phase, swapping the newt out for the refractor this weekend for some solar imaging.

Mark

Thanks Mark. I have not done much imaging of this region before as I am always drawn on the craters near the centre. Looking down the eyepiece I always enjoyed this region as you can make out the ridges but I was never satisfied with the  images, but flipping to Dob view it gave me the same feeling. I think it worked well and I will revisit at some point.

Looking forward to seeing your solar images.

44 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

Nice detail. It's a fascinating area to look at.

I agree, especially when illumination is favourable.

Nice images Kostas. I was out at the same time with the intention of imaging the moon as well. However I should have started earlier in the fading light as the moon was just disappearing behind some trees. I need to get my actual skyline put on Stellarium ( once I find out how to do it).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bosun21 said:

Nice images Kostas. I was out at the same time with the intention of imaging the moon as well. However I should have started earlier in the fading light as the moon was just disappearing behind some trees. I need to get my actual skyline put on Stellarium ( once I find out how to do it).

Thanks Ian. We need to grab these rare imaging opportunities. The weather is looking so and so at the moment so you could give it a try with the IR pass.

To me it's a relief that I have my tracking back. I also got the new motor today but I will hold on it until I have issues again.

• Like 1