Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dome Observatory and Wind protection?

4 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Well, I think you know the answer to that dilemma, Alan 

🤣

Oh indeed I do, a bigger observatory of course 😉
But I may just have to slum it with a 5" refractor on cost grounds of course... hmmph hmmph 😉😉

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Well, I think you know the answer to that dilemma, Alan 

🤣

Exactly Al, bring it over here and try it in my dome......:headbang2:

• Like 2

As a second line of questioning.
How easy is it to move house when you have a dome to move with you?
Just asking as this will be a conversation piece soon.

You'd need a decent sized trailer for the panels.
Does your car have a tow hook?
If so, you might be able to hire a suitable trailer.
Car transporter?
If not, then hire a suitable van.
A minimum two person lift.
Working alone could cause serious cosmetic damage or personal injury.
Wind is your enemy.
Then your new neighbors are your new enemies.
Some people will tolerate a giant white caravan.
But have a fit over quite a modest dome.
The estate agent, who valued my hovel, hated the idea.
Told me to get rid of the obs if I wanted to sell! :blush:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A thank you to everyone who commented and fed back information to me.
This thread is for the future, not present timing.
I have discussed this with Mrs W and your replies and she is OK for one in the future,
post down size if it fits...of course it will fit, the house will be based on astro positioning anyway.

• Like 2

Hi Alan,

I just saw this thread last evening, so a bit late to chime in. I built my own dome six years ago of corten steel (base ring), pine (rafters), plywood (first layer of cladding), and zinc (final cladding), the construction of which can be found on my website: https://www.dehilster.info/astronomy/building-an-observatory.php

Regarding your questions:

Wind: it is a very good wind breaker, I have been imaging and observing quite often in conditions that seemed to be unfavourable. If you are going to build your own dome you need to avoid any openings larger than 10 millimetres that cannot be closed as the wind will blow in rain, hail and snow.

Size: my dome has an inner diameter of 2.8 metres, which is fine when I am alone or only with my wife, but not suitable for more than four adults. I'd recommend a diameter of at least 3 metres (yes, 0.2m already makes a difference), but preferably at least 3.5 metres, that will easily accommodate around 8 adults.

Move house: why, if you have an observatory? More seriously: you are moving to a new home and already considering selling it? In other words: do not live on fears! My wife and I hope to move from our current home with our feet forward first. In case future decides otherwise we probably have bigger concerns than an observatory on the roof of our house.

DSCN1191e.thumb.JPG.74a79df846e5a555a936b43c954094cc.JPG

A motor for controlling the dome azimuth is a must, for controlling the shutters is nice to have, but so far I am doing without and I have not missed it yet (for my azimuth-motor solution, see https://www.dehilster.info/astronomy/dome_automation.php). Main advantage of a dome is that you can do maintenance and test-runs while the weather is poor, most ROR domes do not allow for the mount to turn when closed. Domes also do have a downside: whilst very comfortable under windy/cold conditions, the capacity of a dome to provide this also results in what is called dome-seeing. Especially when doing solar (but at times also planetary) imaging the dome seeing can have a significant effect of the quality of the collected data. One way to overcome this, is to have the option to open a door or large window opposite or below the slit to allow a steady airflow (in our case the observatory is 7 metres above ground level and we can have all doors open, creating a chimney effect that brings cool air).

Looking forward to your progress on this!

Nicolàs

• Like 3