Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dob in an Obs...?

No, it's not a new tongue-twister.

It's a serious question.

A lot of people with observatories seem to be into imaging, which looks exciting, but I'm not there yet. I just don't have the time for all the processing etc., but I will get around to it once I've got a better a mount and something to guide it...

In the meantime, I like looking at stuff.

I don't like getting all the equipment out and packing it all away again. The 6SE is pretty good as "grab'n'go", but I've stil got to get around cool-down time etc.

After SGL4, I took another look at dobs. I was blown away by Ian's tricked-up one.

I can adapt a shed to have a roll-off roof and have a biggish (300mm) dob in there. If the trees are in the way, I can also wheel it down the path to get a better view.

Most of the views in my garden tend to be high as there are fences, houses, trees etc., so this would suit a dob.

In the future, i could then add a pedestal and something for imaging.

I'm finding this more attractive at the moment after looking through the motorized Skywatcher Steve and James had at SGL4. Very tempting.

Does this sound daft? Anyone have any suggestions?

Nope, not daft at all! They're called Dobservatories! and if you want to see lower down then you can always have the walls so that they fold down. On my Obs the southern wall folds down to maximise my southern horizon. Other options include having part of the wall attached to the roof, so that when it rolls, it rolls at waist level.

Helen

Fantastic idea and if I had the cash I would have one for my 16" Dob.

Cash is always an issue, and I expect you'd need a hanger for your 16" beast.

I've never seen a 16" dob. Got any pics?

I'm afraid it's way out of my price range.

But a driven 12" one for around a grand sounds very tempting.

Cash is always an issue, and I expect you'd need a hanger for your 16" beast.

I've never seen a 16" dob. Got any pics?

I'm afraid it's way out of my price range.

But a driven 12" one for around a grand sounds very tempting.

Here you go...

http://stargazerslounge.com/members-equipment-gallery/67312-my-lightbridge-16-a.html

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/68393-wheelbarrow-mod-my-dob.html

Go for it!. My `dobservatory` is really useful. The scope is set up ready to go.

Nice one.

I see you've mounted the dob on a stand/table.

Does this mean that when viewing near the zenith you need to wear stilts? :)

No I don`t need stilts! The scope is on a stand to increase the amount of sky before it points at the shed and then I`ve put in a raised floor so that the height of the eyepiece is comfortable. In the background in the scope shot is an extended stool (just like a bar stool really) so that I can even sit down at the eyepiece.

I think the only issues with Dobs in Obs are- 1) the height of the altitude bearings requiring low aperture windows and 2) the issue of navigating with a limited view of the sky. The thread seems to have been there and done that so why am I wasting your time??

Olly

I think the only issues with Dobs in Obs are- 1) the height of the altitude bearings requiring low aperture windows and 2) the issue of navigating with a limited view of the sky. The thread seems to have been there and done that so why am I wasting your time??

Olly

Not wasting anyone's time Olly.

Thanks for your comments.

I'm just testing the water, and as always, SGL members deliver.

Still not sure I want to do this, but I'll keep looking.....

Archived