Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Starfield 102mm (Doublet) vs Askar 103mm (Triplet)

1 hour ago, cloudyweather said:

I assume carrying the mount head separately makes it easier? The HEQ5 mount seems to be 3kg heavier than the EQ5 - doesn't 'sound' a lot but... (my wife's stage piano is 20kg and that's a killer).

I would have thought it normal to setup and level tripod, then add mount and then scope? Or is that wrong? As you can tell, still debating HEQ5. Thanks

It does make it easier to carry the mount-head out separately to the tripod in terms of weight, but it's just an another operation you will have to do when setting up. If I only had a single door, I couldn't do this due to the wide tripod legs, but double patio doors means the tripod is easy to carry out. All I do is check the tightness of the mount-head to the tripod every session.

With regards to level, it is best practice especially if on the grass, so yes I would suggest to level the tripod first. However, because I set up on a level patio with the tripod legs fully retracted, in all honesty I've never checked my HEQ5 for level and I have no issues when imaging with regards to tracking, guiding or lost subs. If I had a larger scope with a longer focal length (say a C8), then yes maybe I would.

Prior to the HEQ5, I used a Star Adventurer which comes with a built-in spirit level. I used it across my whole patio and never found I had to adjust for level, so a bit of prior "testing" and judgement aided with this.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, cloudyweather said:

I assume carrying the mount head separately makes it easier?

Essentially how I do it but all my equipment is generally together in one bag, maybe the tripod in hand. It gets annoying very quickly to-ing and fro-ing various pieces of equipment in their containers setting up and breaking down every time. At least if I have it fully assembled prior I use photo tripods so I can carry them through a single door with the legs in closed position, but I don't usually do this, I just setup outside with the more comfortable free space around me, and I don't struggle so much getting out the door.

Edited by Elp

On 07/05/2024 at 19:11, Mr Spock said:

Starfield 102 on an EQ5 (great mount for visual only), and the scope that replaced it. If you are imaging you'll probably want an HEQ5. Both mount and scope are within your budget.

D5H_0419_DxO.thumb.jpg.f41b0abc490876a36b32d611a99d5d27.jpg

Is the SkySurfer attached to an extension? and which finder shoe are you using? Many thanks

19 minutes ago, cloudyweather said:

Is the SkySurfer attached to an extension?

Standard fitting it comes with.

19 minutes ago, cloudyweather said:

and which finder shoe are you using?

I think they were WO, but most should fit.

1 hour ago, Elp said:

If you're quick the offer SF is now an even better price.

Yeah - FLO told me. I just don't understand how dust could get inside the optics if it's been looked after. Do other people have dust in theirs?

Posted (edited)

It is strange if it's only been out in the wild for 30 days or less, it has sold now though. Mines got dust, bought used though, but my Z61 isn't dusty and I've had that years.

Edited by Elp

Does anybody find the Starfield 102mm needs a dew heater in the UK damp weather? Or is the sliding dew shield sufficient? Just planning ahead to make sure any portable battery is sufficient for mount and extras. Thanks

There looks to be another one available; 

I do use a dew heater in the UK weather with SF102, I also have one on my guidescope. Few things are worse than dew forming and ruining a session on a clear night, which I had once near the start of this year when I forgot to plug it in.

I use Amazon dew heater straps that are powered by a USB power bank. Not ideal since it doesn't last all night, but at this time of year it's not needed. So it could be an expense you put off for a few months.

Posted (edited)

That one sold almost instantly...

I haven't used a dew heater yet on the SF and I've imaged during the cold winter around Jan/Feb. It has an unusually long dew shield.

Edited by Elp

Posted (edited)

I don't find that I need additional dew prevention equipment for my refractors when used in my back yard but I do if I use them at my society observatory which is only around 6 miles away and rather more dew prone. I've never found that I needed heated elements etc even there - an Astrozap dew shield extension does the trick.

Edited by John

Posted (edited)

This is what I use from Amazon:

BQKOZFIN Tripod Bag 25in Tripod.

Padding I repurposed some packing foam bordering around the scope and lined the base and top with some layers of yoga mat, so the length then becomes ideal. The added height allows me to use the top third of the bag to store other things (like everything else), pier, camera, batteries, eyepieces etc, the zip compartment I store my flatteners in. The zip opening opens full width and length so you can remove or store everything without struggling. The bag is also very affordable. Other tripod bags will also be suitable as recommended above.

Edited by Elp

On the subject of bags, the Altair astro variant is imaged with quite a smart looking bag, but I'm not sure if they are still sold with it and I can't see it on the website for sale separately.

Looks really smart.

On 07/05/2024 at 19:12, cloudyweather said:

"Brand new, unused but with some carbon fibre irregularities in the weave pattern ...!". I'm not a structural engineer but I'd have thought the weave was integral to the material integrity - but like I say, I'm not a structural engineer.

The blemish is called just a turn in the cloth.

carbon tubes will be soaked in resin similar to FRP. Or Fibre Re enforce Plastic. The carbon tube is the put in an autoclave 'Vacuum' all the air is sucked out and replaced with the resin. Exceptionally strong depending on how many layers used, telescopes that have focusers and lens cells screwed on Id personally avoid, the SW125 looks like its bonded proper. The shiny clear coat over the resin finish is subject to any scratches, chips etc just like a metal telescope.

Avoid wet layered tubes like some of TS Services, they will have air bubbles and voids. 

• Like 1

It's a long focal length, 714mm native and 571mm at 0.8x reduced which id still class as medium focal length. Maybe doable but for reliability it's one of the reasons to autoguide so minimal to none bad subs, also depends on what target you're imaging and how strong the signal.

Edited by Elp

On 18/05/2024 at 21:32, Elp said:

It's a long focal length, 714mm native and 571mm at 0.8x reduced which id still class as medium focal length. Maybe doable but for reliability it's one of the reasons to autoguide so minimal to none bad subs, also depends on what target you're imaging and how strong the signal.

Thank you. That's just what I needed to know.

I've ordered the Starfield 102mm, a Sightron Alt Az mount and the StellaLyra CF tripod. Along with hopefully a nice selection of eyepieces (3.2mm, 5mm, 12mm BST StarGuider and 30mm StellaLyra) plus a Solar Wedge (seems the year for it!!!).  I can add a HD mount later.

Many thanks all, Sean

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cloudyweather said:

I've ordered the Starfield 102mm, a Sightron Alt Az mount and the StellaLyra CF tripod. Along with hopefully a nice selection of eyepieces (3.2mm, 5mm, 12mm BST StarGuider and 30mm StellaLyra) plus a Solar Wedge (seems the year for it!!!).  I can add a HD mount later.

Many thanks all, Sean

A good choice and I’m sure you’ll be very happy with. A good 4” scope is a great all rounder. Just one thing. It doesn’t appear to come with a diagonal, so you might want to add one of those as well.

44 minutes ago, YogSothoth said:

A good choice and I’m sure you’ll be very happy with. A good 4” scope is a great all rounder. Just one thing. It doesn’t appear to come with a diagonal, so you might want to add one of those as well.

I did order a WO 2" diagonal and Baader SkySurfer 3 too. Forgot to list them. Thanks.

• Like 1