Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I I'm the process of getting a old skywhatcher eq5 into some sort of working order, however both clutches are not releasing even though they turn I removed both brass bolts and replaced them but still no joy, anyone any ideas😕

If I remember correctly - clutches consist out of two parts:

bolt that is used to apply the tension and little insert that is actually pressing the shaft.

At least that is the case with HEQ5 mount

Maybe you should take things apart and see if similar inserts are stuck due to corrosion or something?

image.png.f1dc657dbe61cfc2f788567db18b979c.png

(above is screen shot from youtube video showing both parts after disassembly https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=rsr7m1ejjVU - you can also see it at 1:11:32 being put back in place - little disk with clutch screw being inserted after)

• Like 2

Do the axis turn when the brass bolts are removed? If not then something has seized. It could be the internal part of the clutch that the brass bolts push upon or it could be the entire axis. Looks like a strip down is going to be required.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bosun21 said:

Do the axis turn when the brass bolts are removed? If not then something has seized. It could be the internal part of the clutch that the brass bolts push upon or it could be the entire axis. Looks like a strip down is going to be required.

One moves ok now in Dec,but Ra doesn't even if brass bolt removed I removed worm and as expected it moves ok put the worm back and no go.Iv had the mount in bits and can't see anything obvious.Anyway thanks for the help I'll sleep on it😵‍💫

1 hour ago, Albir phil said:

One moves ok now in Dec,but Ra doesn't even if brass bolt removed I removed worm and as expected it moves ok put the worm back and no go.Iv had the mount in bits and can't see anything obvious.Anyway thanks for the help I'll sleep on it😵‍💫

Does the worm gear turn freely when you remove it? If it does you just need to adjust the backlash screws to back off the worm gear from the RA axis teeth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As mentioned by others, the pressure pads under the locking screws would be my first port of call as they are likely to be stuck.  The bearings on the old EQ5 are plain metal and the grease may have hardened over time.  If stripped and cleaned, re-grease with something like Superlube, not lithium grease which is too thin.     🙂  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

As mentioned by others, the pressure pads under the locking screws would be my first port of call as they are likely to be stuck.  The bearings on the old EQ5 are plain metal and the grease may have hardened over time.  If stripped and cleaned, re-grease with something like Superlube, not lithium grease which is too thin.     🙂  

Thanks Peter I will have a look at it while I have it in bits.By the way it's one I got from you along with a 127 skywhatcher refractor , think we swapped for a 5 inch lens I had.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 07/05/2024 at 00:51, vlaiv said:

If I remember correctly - clutches consist out of two parts:

bolt that is used to apply the tension and little insert that is actually pressing the shaft.

At least that is the case with HEQ5 mount

Maybe you should take things apart and see if similar inserts are stuck due to corrosion or something?

image.png.f1dc657dbe61cfc2f788567db18b979c.png

(above is screen shot from youtube video showing both parts after disassembly https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=rsr7m1ejjVU - you can also see it at 1:11:32 being put back in place - little disk with clutch screw being inserted after)

How is everything going. Are you a student like me and need help with your book report? Then I'm here to save you. I am sharing with you https://academized.com/write-my-book-report a website that I used in school for so many things like coursework, assignments and essays. I like their work. That's why I'm sharing it with you. If you also need help, you can visit them.

Thanks for the video link, you made my day. I have just completed my Dec service during which I replaced all the bearings with new. 
I had just two problems the first was down to a bit of corrosion on the shaft. The bearing between the red washer and the body of the mount came out with the shaft and proved difficult to budge so I ended up spraying a bit of D40 on the shaft and eventually the bearing released. 
The second problem I encountered was with the button on the Dec clutch, it didn't go back in square and I had to dismantle everything to push it through and start again. The second time I pushed the button in from the back before attaching the worm gear. 
Otherwise a long overdue service, tomorrow I will try the RA axis.

Edited by ShawnLanders
  • Like 1