Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mele 4C Mini-PC Power supply

Not sure if this question is in the right place... Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone knows (for sure) whether it's ok to power my recently purchased Mele quieter 4C directly from a 12V LiFePO4 battery or do I need something in between? I feel it should be ok but the battery pumps out 12.8V and I don't want to risk bricking the Mele!

Appreciate any expert knowledge and lived experience on this!

Thanks.

Louise

32 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

Not sure if this question is in the right place... Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone knows (for sure) whether it's ok to power my recently purchased Mele quieter 4C directly from a 12V LiFePO4 battery or do I need something in between? I feel it should be ok but the battery pumps out 12.8V and I don't want to risk bricking the Mele!

Appreciate any expert knowledge and lived experience on this!

Thanks.

Louise

Absolutely fine as this PC can take up to 18v input, and will just take what it needs….i use one too on a 13.8v supply…👍🏻

You can actually power this PC through either of the USB C ports, one you can use up to 18v, and the other one I believe up to 20v, as this PC has built in power delivery system 👍🏻

Edited by Stuart1971

8 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

You can actually power this PC through either of the USB C ports, one you can use up to 18v, and the other one I believe up to 20v, as this PC has built in power delivery system 👍🏻

Thanks Stuart, however I was asking if I can power the Mele direct from the battery, in which case there is no active power delivery communication involved. I'm wondering if I really need to incorporate some sort of standalone PD controller (if there is such a thing?)  in between the battery and the PC? Or am I overthinking it? I'm ignorant of PD systems and whether they default to a particular value. Perhaps without an active PD the Mele won't work at all?? I've just come across things called  power delivery trigger boards - maybe that's what I need?

Cheers

Louise

4 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

Thanks Stuart, however I was asking if I can power the Mele direct from the battery, in which case there is no active power delivery communication involved. I'm wondering if I really need to incorporate some sort of standalone PD controller (if there is such a thing?)  in between the battery and the PC? Or am I overthinking it? I'm ignorant of PD systems and whether they default to a particular value. Perhaps without an active PD the Mele won't work at all?? I've just come across things called  power delivery trigger boards - maybe that's what I need?

Cheers

Louise

Sorry but I think you are over thinking it

It can be powered for any DC power supply that delivers 12v to 18v or 20v depending on which port you power it from

So if you are using the normal USB C power input port on the PC, then up to 20v, so if you are using a 12v battery, then I have no idea what the issue is….🤔🤔

You don’t have to power it from anything that has power delivery technology as that is built into the PC not the power supply, so just use a DC power source that supplies between 12v and 20v and all is good…

1 minute ago, Stuart1971 said:

Sorry but I think you are over thinking it

It can be powered for any DC power supply that delivers 12v to 18v or 20v depending on which port you power it from

So if you are using the normal USB C power input port on the PC, then up to 20v, so if you are using a 12v battery, then I have no idea what the issue is….🤔🤔

Yes but doesn't the usb c PD require two-way communication in order to negotiate the voltage? I'm only thinking 12.8V isn't 12.0V and it could potentially be problematic... I'll look into it a bit more. I'll ask Mele too but I'm sure they'll say the PC must only be used with the provided mains adapter or an active PD. Their quick start leaflet shows it being powered from either the 12V mains adapter or via a monitor with PD.  As you say, it's probably ok to connect up to the battery but there would be no current limiter so it could go boom! I'll look further into the trigger boards.

Cheers

Louise

1 minute ago, Thalestris24 said:

Yes but doesn't the usb c PD require two-way communication in order to negotiate the voltage? I'm only thinking 12.8V isn't 12.0V and it could potentially be problematic... I'll look into it a bit more. I'll ask Mele too but I'm sure they'll say the PC must only be used with the provided mains adapter or an active PD. Their quick start leaflet shows it being powered from either the 12V mains adapter or via a monitor with PD.  As you say, it's probably ok to connect up to the battery but there would be no current limiter so it could go boom! I'll look further into the trigger boards.

Cheers

Louise

Well I can assure you mine is powered from my Astro power box that just shoved out 13.4v and has worked this way for a while now….

Never used the 12v supply that came with it, which BTW is not a power delivery power supply, that part is built into the PC 

‘But I will bow out now

Good luck

• Thanks 1

Just to add to the comments above from @Stuart1971, I have run my Quieter2 from a 12v lead acid battery with variable voltage. I was a little concerned, but the second Mele PC I purchased actually had a sticker on it saying it required 12 - 19V.

36 minutes ago, Clarkey said:

Just to add to the comments above from @Stuart1971, I have run my Quieter2 from a 12v lead acid battery with variable voltage. I was a little concerned, but the second Mele PC I purchased actually had a sticker on it saying it required 12 - 19V.

Thanks, Clarkey! I'm still a bit wary of connecting it direct to the battery and with no regulation. In the quick start it shows the 4C using either the 12V mains power adapter connected via the right hand (looking at the rear) usb c socket,  else supplied from a PD supported monitor type C via the left hand usb c. Presumably the right hand usb doesn't use PD but expects a flat, regulated 12V.  I wish they were more explicit!

Cheers

Louise

1 hour ago, Thalestris24 said:

Oh Stuart you could have said "Well I can assure you mine is powered from my Astro power box that just shoved out 13.4v and has worked this way for a while now…." before!

Would it really have made any difference….you obvioulsy had reservations about using anything other than the cheap Chinese 12v adapter supplied with the PC

The PC can run on any DC power supply, that can put out anything between 12 and 18v, on either of the 2 USB C ports…it’s as simple as that…the PC will just draw the power it needs from the connected supply, that’s how the PD works, simple as that….whether it be a DC power supply of some description, or lead acid battery, a Lifepo battery or a potato battery….as long as it’s between 12 and 18v

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

Thanks, Clarkey! I'm still a bit wary of connecting it direct to the battery and with no regulation. In the quick start it shows the 4C using either the 12V mains power adapter connected via the right hand (looking at the rear) usb c socket,  else supplied from a PD supported monitor type C via the left hand usb c. Presumably the right hand usb doesn't use PD but expects a flat, regulated 12V.  I wish they were more explicit!

Cheers

Louise

No, as I showed you earlier taken from there spec, it does not expect 12v from either port, it can take 12v to 18v on one port and 12v to 20v on the other, it does not have to be a flat regulated 12v at all…..

4 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

No, as I showed you earlier taken from there spec, it does not expect 12v from either port, it can take 12v to 18v on one port and 12v to 20v on the other, it does not have to be a flat regulated 12v at all…..

I'm just insecure.... 😟

30 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

The PC can run on any DC power supply, that can put out anything between 12 and 18v, on either of the 2 USB C ports…it’s as simple as that…the PC will just draw the power it needs from the connected supply, that’s how the PD works, simple as that….whether it be a DC power supply of some description, or lead acid battery, a Lifepo battery or a potato battery….as long as it’s between 12 and 18v

This. 

It'll be reet! 🙂

Andy

Edited by fireballxl5
  • Like 1