Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SNRG156.2+5.7

Sexy title, eh? :grin:

This is a three-up effort with Paul Kummer capturing and pre-processing 3 hours per panel (2 panels) in the RASA 8 and Tom O'Donoghue devoting 18 hours (eighteen) to 3nm Ha in his Tak FSQ106, based here robotically. My post processing. This supernova remnant is in Auriga and shares the field with an assortment of LDN objects. Despite the 18 hours the Ha was agonizingly faint and had to be tortured horribly to get as far as this. So, a nice round 24 hours' worth:

spacer.png

Bigger one is here: https://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Emission-Nebulae/i-24vBwxW/A

Edit. Please scroll the thread down for final version.

Olly.

Edited by ollypenrice
  • Like 13

Wow.. this is quite striking .. seeing as you mentioned torture.. it conjures up visions of demons & hell as depicted in historical art paintings somewhere in the back of my mind!!.. That blood red Ha is quite something against all that dust. Nice processing Olly 👍

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Sp@ce_d said:

Wow.. this is quite striking .. seeing as you mentioned torture.. it conjures up visions of demons & hell as depicted in historical art paintings somewhere in the back of my mind!!.. That blood red Ha is quite something against all that dust. Nice processing Olly 👍

From Kit Marlowe's doomed Dr Faustus, perhaps?

See, see, where Christ's blood streams in the firmament!

One drop would save my soul, half a drop: ah my Christ!

Olly

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

Managed to squeeze a bit more out of the Ha:

spacer.png

Olly

That's definitely more than "one drop". Very nice image.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, wimvb said:

@ollypenrice

There's a very thin "string of rubies" coming in from the right edge in your image. It's different in your two versions. Is this real signal, or maybe an artefact?

It's an edge artifact from the Ha layer and I thought I'd fixed it in the latest version! I'll check it out again. Thanks, Wim.

Olly

Edit: Fixed.

SNRG156.2%2B5.7%20V4%20Web-360x450.jpg

Edited by ollypenrice
  • Like 1

This is a very cool but surprisingly rarely imaged SNR. I do like the second version! The Ha is now better integrated in the image.

• Like 1