Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2024 First Chance at ET & Iris

Nebula season might be drawing to a close but in the late hours of the evening NGC7023 rises above 30 degrees just after astro darkness begins, followed by IC1396 at around about 02.00.

These two provide an interesting contrast for the SM90ED+ASI1600MM+8EFW to do first a bit of broadband imaging and then a bit of narrowband imaging.

Here is six hours over two nights (two hours per RGB filter) on the NGC7023 .....

Iris_v8_3x90m.thumb.jpg.66f9aacf7c01ffa148fc28b348d16ba4.jpg

followed by six hours over two nights (two hours per 3nm narrowband filter) on IC1396.

ET-S-150m_H-85m_O-140m_x2.thumb.jpg.734e9be052d1afa250b32a0b6a370e3c.jpg

I have intentionally set out not to over process these images and intend to keep adding data until astro darkness runs out in May - clear (Moonless for the Iris) nights permitting.

Captured with an ASIair, pre-processed in APP, post-processed in PI.

Thanks for looking.

Adrian

• Like 10

51 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

NGC7023 rises above 30 degrees just after astro darkness begins, followed by IC1396 at around about 02.00.

Excellent contrasting pair Adrian.  It's interesting seeing the Iris pop up already just before the light nights of summer.  Very nice colour and detail in the core against an attractive star field.

I just need to get all that dust off my desk from the IC1396 image, it's covered in it :) 

• Like 1

Thanks Lee.

RGB imaging is my nemesis - truth is I don't have a clue what I am doing so I don't do too much!

6 minutes ago, geeklee said:

I just need to get all that dust off my desk from the IC1396 image, it's covered in it

Haha! You know me. I am a firm believer that space is dusty, dirty and dark with pockets of beauty - and dangerous, but not to us imagers - only our wallets! 😆 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, carastro said:

Had to scratch my head at "ET", thought you had captured a UFO with this Iris for a minute,  🤣

Lovely images Adrian.

Thank you Carole. Haha - I don't subscribe to UFOs.

I'm currently reading the Foundation series which predicts a time when we populate the galaxy - a terrifying prospect.

Adrian

• Like 1

The Iris, now with nine hours of data - not sure it worth investing more time - the law of diminishing returns is starting to kick in I fear:

Iris_3-Sessions-v3.thumb.jpg.089ea4d5683bd48e9e999698b54b8687.jpg

Time to focus on the ET and try to grab some more data before astro darkness is lost in about five weeks time.

Thanks for looking.

Adrian

• Like 1