Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help me identify some nebulae

I tried (actually still trying) to make a large image from Monoceros to Auriga - from Rosette to Flaming Star in 2x5 panels. Currently, of O[III] I only have 4 panels, but I still tried to put them together to see if the plan is going on properly.

I tried to identify the less know nebulae in the image, but there are a few shells that I cannot identify. I marked the ones I already know. The bright obvious ones I skipped. The ones remaining are contoured and have a question mark nearby.

Can you please help me identify them? Are they part of a larger loop? The Monoceros loop doesn't include them as far as I know.

Thank you and clear skies,

Alex

O3-panels-78910-annotated_050.jpg

O3-panels-78910-annotated_unknown_050.jpg

• Like 3

Just now, Elp said:

Have you tried Aladin:

https://aladin.cds.unistra.fr/

On the Lite version, I find nothing. And I don't know yet how to use the desktop version.

Just now, Vroobel said:

It's doable within the PixInsight if you share an original starry picture.

Here are an unstretched fits and a stretched jpeg.

O3-panels-78910.jpg

O3-panels-78910_050.fits

I can identify Rosette brightest one.  
Cone Nebula middle towards right in screen shot and just below that also in screenshot attached small nebula IC21690787FAA2-BDE8-41F5-8328-A7857A1CFD9C.jpeg.8b544342b8e807cd766ece7ac0ac7d95.jpeg

Edited by carastro

Here's a link to a couple of my images.  You need to rotate this one clockwise by 90 degrees ish. 

spacer.png

and this is the tiddler underneath again my not so good image:

spacer.png

Edited by carastro
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Vroobel said:

Well, apparently it's not easy and maybe you asked for help just because of that.  My PI still works, let's wait.

Sorry, I give up. 😭

8 hours ago, carastro said:

I can identify Rosette brightest one.  
Cone Nebula middle towards right in screen shot and just below that also in screenshot attached small nebula IC21690787FAA2-BDE8-41F5-8328-A7857A1CFD9C.jpeg.8b544342b8e807cd766ece7ac0ac7d95.jpeg

Hello, Cara! I was asking about those marked with a question mark in my second image in the first post. The common ones can be easily identified.

6 hours ago, Vroobel said:

Sorry, I give up. 😭

I believe that the fits header should have also information about coordinates. However, you can use the cone nebula for center, 5.8um for pixel size and 100mm for focal length. Image solver with auto catalog should do the job.

I tried the available catalogues in pixinsight already (except the stars only and galaxies only ones), but without success. I could try to export/import the catalogue at planetary nebula .net, but I checked the nebulae around that RA and Dec and wasn't able to find one.

Perhaps I need to shoot at least 2 more panels towards east to see what's lurking there, but this season is ending very soon.

2 minutes ago, alexbb said:

I believe that the fits header should have also information about coordinates. However, you can use the cone nebula for center, 5.8um for pixel size and 100mm for focal length. Image solver with auto catalog should do the job.

I tried the available catalogues in pixinsight already (except the stars only and galaxies only ones), but without success.

I wasn't precise enough. I can easily plate solve the picture, that wasn't a problem. I also didn't take stars and small objects into account. Some databases are so huge that it would take ages to finish searching while the result is overwhelming - labels cover all window. 😕

• Thanks 1

Whatever they are (and I can't help with that) they are extremely interesting. I wonder if the circular loop, probably a spherical shell, above SNR G206.9 2.3 is associated with the much larger loop which no doubt continues above the region you've already captured.

Keep going!

Olly

Really intriguing structures Alex! I think that what you have caught may be parts of an enormous SNR called the Monogem ring. I once caught just a little part of it near Dreyers Nebula. You can read a bit about it on my Astrobin post (https://www.astrobin.com/yzuvc3/B/), and a subsequent news item in Astronomy Now. I suggest you contact Marcel Drechsler that could give some more insight. What equipment did you use to catch the image?

Cheers, Göran

Goran.thumb.jpg.d0762644a44969fb93cd7c09f0419d97.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, gorann said:

Really intriguing structures Alex! I think that what you have caught may be parts of an enormous SNR called the Monogem ring. I once caught just a little part of it near Dreyers Nebula. You can read a bit about it on my Astrobin post (https://www.astrobin.com/yzuvc3/B/), and a subsequent news item in Astronomy Now. I suggest you contact Marcel Drechsler that could give some more insight. What equipment did you use to catch the image?

Cheers, Göran

Thanks! I knew you captured a part of the Monogem ring and I also saw some arcs near the Rosette nebula. Perhaps there are simply no images of the full ring in the visual spectrum and they are waiting to be captured.

I'll try to get in touch with Marcel and see if he knows and can share some more info.

This area is a 4 panel composition with a Sigma 135 F/1.8, ToupTek 2600 mono and an Astronomik MaxFr 6nm O[III] filter. 1h exposure / panel. Skies would be SQM ~21.2 in that area, captured at no lower than 30 degrees.

2 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Whatever they are (and I can't help with that) they are extremely interesting. I wonder if the circular loop, probably a spherical shell, above SNR G206.9 2.3 is associated with the much larger loop which no doubt continues above the region you've already captured.

Keep going!

Olly

Skies and time allowing, I'll add to it. Though I also want to cover the missing panels already covered in Ha and RGB this season.

aur_mon_Ha.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, alexbb said:

Thanks! I knew you captured a part of the Monogem ring and I also saw some arcs near the Rosette nebula. Perhaps there are simply no images of the full ring in the visual spectrum and they are waiting to be captured.

I'll try to get in touch with Marcel and see if he knows and can share some more info.

This area is a 4 panel composition with a Sigma 135 F/1.8, ToupTek 2600 mono and an Astronomik MaxFr 6nm O[III] filter. 1h exposure / panel. Skies would be SQM ~21.2 in that area, captured at no lower than 30 degrees.

Skies and time allowing, I'll add to it. Though I also want to cover the missing panels already covered in Ha and RGB this season.

aur_mon_Ha.jpg

That's great, packed with things rarely seen.

Paul Kummer and I had fun in this region in broadband. 

ORION%20MONOCEROS5full%20web-364x450.jpg

Olly

• Like 3

The outer shells seem to be part of the Monogem ring and Marcel pointed me to https://planetarynebulae.net/EN/page_np.php?id=83 which is the big circle at the top (left). For missing this one, I am to blame, since the information was already available, but I missed it somehow. I believe I filtered for RA 6-7 only and RA for it was 7+. Which seems to be obvious even from my images, but sometimes my mind fails at simple things...

As far as I know there are no images of the whole Monogem ring, so you are pioneering here. I am amazed that you managed to capture such clear Oiii structures already after an hour. If I was you I would be tempted to capture a few more hours of this apparent ring structure that in your image appears to encircle the PN Hu 6.

Keep up the good work on your amazing project!

• Like 1

PS.

If you invert you image and darken it a bit the probably Monogem ring becomes quite apparent and it looks like you have about half of it in you image:

O3-panels-78910-annotated_050 inverted.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gorann said:

As far as I know there are no images of the whole Monogem ring, so you are pioneering here. I am amazed that you managed to capture such clear Oiii structures already after an hour. If I was you I would be tempted to capture a few more hours of this apparent ring structure that in your image appears to encircle the PN Hu 6.

Keep up the good work on your amazing project!

There are no images of the whole Monogem ring yet.

I spoke to a friend already and we'll point our lenses the following nights.

The Sigma 135 1.8 and the 2600 mono seem to make a good pair under decent skies.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, alexbb said:

There are no images of the whole Monogem ring yet.

I spoke to a friend already and we'll point our lenses the following nights.

The Sigma 135 1.8 and the 2600 mono seem to make a good pair under decent skies.

Great decisison, this is pionering astrophotography!

• 2 weeks later...