NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Amalthea

A quick question regarding observing Jupiter and its moons.

A few evenings back I managed a short observation due to clear skies at last.

I was using my 5 inch newt grab and go with a half decent zoom. I was two hours too early for the GRS but the four main moons were showing well. No eclipses, transits or shadow transits so I looked up the moons on Stellarium for reference.

Stellarium clearly showed a fifth  point of light without a name, and to my surprise it was not a background star but a moon of Jupiter that was new to me, Amalthea.

For love nor money I couldn't see it. I was surprised to find out it is the fifth largest moon and the fifth moon to be discovered.

My question is. Have any of the observers on this site observed Amalthea? Furthermore, what is needed in conditions and equipment to see this moon?

MarvinScreenshot_20240320_210105_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.4bec8e9417a264b4d4588fa030e465e1.jpg

Much as I'd love to see Amalthea, I have never been able to see more than the 4 Galilean moons around Jupiter, even when using my 12 inch dob. Amalthea might have been possible with that scope when at it's furthest elongation from Jupiter and under excellent conditions but I've yet to see it. 

I believe it's magnitude is around 14.7 ?

While it might be the 5th largest moon of Jupiter it is much smaller than the Galilean moons - around 150km in diameter I think ?

Edited by John
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Amalthea was easy at the Texas Star Party in 16" & 24" scopes, but we had to wash the dust off first.

I've seen it once from Kelling Heath (UK) in my 18", again very clean mirrors.

• Like 1

Amalthea is never more than 30'' away from the disc of Jupiter so glare from the planet is a big problem. Needs a big mirror with very low light scatter. Or perhaps a top quality very large refractor. 

• Like 1

So a five inch newt on an AZ5 was a bit optimistic. I noticed the potato shape from the Galileo pictures and immediately wondered if it is a captured asteroid like Mars moons?

I can't find anymore information so I can only conclude that in the main stream we know next to nothing about it.

Marv

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Space Hopper said:

I'm guessing its like trying to spot Phobos around Mars, but harder still.

I think so. I've not managed to observe a martian moon either, as yet

• 2 months later...

I've certainly never visually observed it, but back in 2018 I had a go at getting an image.

In my saner moments, I am still not convinced I got it. In my more exhuberant moments I'm not going to let anyone take that claim away from me! You can see the picture here and so decide for yourself.

If you want to go for one of Jupy's fainter moons, I suspect you will have more success with Himalia ...

Thanks.

• Like 1