Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Replacement Canon Remote Timers

Been meaning to post this info for a while. I have both of the replacement Canon Remote Release Timers as shown in the picture below and whilst they both work perfectly adequately for astro use there are some minor issues when it comes to using them in the dark.

Both these units are sold under different names but are essentially the same unit and share the same modes of operation.

Whilst the Aputure unit more closely resembles the official Canon timer, note where the Stop/Start button is, it is both small and recessed and very difficult to access in the dark without hitting the wrong button, it is impossible to work with gloves, also the screen is smaller and more difficult to read in the dark.

The YongNuo is a more functional unit and has exactly the same timer functions, the Stop/Start button is better placed and much easier to find in the dark, no problem with gloves either to stop and start. The screen is also bigger, backlighting is better and much easier to read in the dark.

These are just some observations from using both units and hope the comments may help others contemplating which unit to purchase from an Astro point of view. Its a classic case of ergronomics over asthetics.

Brendan

post-13788-133877370948_thumb.jpg

Both are a fraction (£30-40) of the official Canon TC-80N3 timer (£109), just as well as I have a habit of dropping them in the dark. A quick look on flea Bay will throw up various prices.

Brendan

Got a real TC-80N3, it has the small "stop" button but I seem to manage to work the thing.

If I was buying again I'd get one of the battery grips which takes an extra battery & also has the timer/sequencer functionality ... battery life is a significant problem & these things bolt on securely, nothing to drop, no cable to get tangled with the dew heater cables, tripod legs etc.

I have the one on the left, badged by someone else, possibly even YongNuo and it works great. Not had a problem with the buttons, but I normally have a torch with me just in case. My only criticism, the battery is a little loose and if dropped or slips and hit's the legs hard, can reset the counters... it's not really a problem, as it's easy enough to ensure it doesn't get dropped...

Archived