NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

5 pinhole LED artificial Star

Decide to star a new thread on this continuing from here the original thread in the newcomers heads up section...

I have had 2 e-mails in the last 4 days from the manufacturer instructing me to modify the product to stop it melting...

The first one you were asked to color the inside of the aperture plate with black marker pen so it could absorb soem heat and then transfer it through to the outside world, whilst at teh same time removing the center portion of the reflector to allow more airflow - dubious as its a sealed unit... too late mine had already started to melt ..

The 2nd one was to "disable" the center LED as its not required and to limit use to 10 minutes per session...

I just had another one as I am typing this.... sayign they are sending out "new" factory modified ones to all existing customers...

I hope they get it sorted because the product seemed to work well as a collimation light source and the images i took on Sunday night with the sct after using it are some of the sharpest I have ever got from my 8" SCT.

to Be Continued.....

Peter....

Peter, since I need to re-collimate my C8 after replacing the corrector plate, I ordered one of these (still wait delivery).

Like you I just got two e-mails, the first showing me how to modify it and the second saying they will send a new updated unit.

Still, as it obviously works, for the price it's good value. Look forward to trying it out when it arrives.

MD

Here's a copy of the blurb showing hole sizes:-

The innovative Hubble 5-star Artificial Star(s) is a perfect solution to this problem. It has 6 bright white LEDs with 5 precision pinholes (50/100/150/200/250 microns). It will enable you to test practically all the telescopes of different apertures with different F/#, from any reasonable distances needed, and under different lighting environment

MD

Pete,

Do you know what the various hole sizes are? ( sorry if this this covered somewhere else)

Heres the First light with it... http://stargazerslounge.com/heads-up/78442-5-pinhole-artificial-star.html#post1214194

This is with all 5 holes open as I wanted to find which one to use with the source scope distance that i could achieve .. and seeing as it was 30 foot up on several poles taped together i didnt want to have to keep dropping it down in the dark to try different ones...

The pics were taken using a DSLR and AE Supreme 3x barlow I initially collimated visualy with a 20mm and the same 3x barlow.. and tweaked with the dslr in place..

Peter..

Just ordered one of the 5 star LED Torches. A little under £15 all in so just have to wait on it arriving. Hopefully I'll get my C6S spot on, or at least confirm that its OK.

Gary

Just received the artificial star today.

Put 3 AAA batteries in it and it worked OK. Will try to use it to collimate the C8 when I get the time.

I was told that I would get it a modified one. Can't tell if it is 'cause it's got 5 working LED's and the temporary modification was to cut the wire to the central LED.

The 'artificial star' is only a pocket torch with a metal disk in front of the LED's that has 5 different micron sized holes. The LED torch I already have could be modified to suit with just the metal disk, and would work just as well. Anyone out there with a Laser punch?

Peter - does your replacement still have 5 LED's or does it have 4 ?

MD

I also just received mine today, but it has 6 LED's which all light up..

The only reason I bought it was to get the "precision pinholes" - I'll remount the small disk infront of my Foucault tester and can then use the 50 micron to provide calibration stars in NEON light or use the standard DuluxStar Flouro with the spectroscope.

Just ordered one of the 5 star LED Torches. A little under £15 all in so just have to wait on it arriving. Hopefully I'll get my C6S spot on, or at least confirm that its OK.

Gary

Me too. The photo of the item I've ordered is black. Earlier ones appear to be white or silver.

Perhaps I've ordered a different model?

We'll see when it arrives...

I'm wondering what other mods they have made to stop the reflector melting.. the instructions taht were sent over a couple of e-mails were to colour the inside of the metal plate black, remove the center LED and remove the relector fron around the leds...

Works a treat though .. andIi dont care if it does melt as I would fit the leds diffuser and the pierced front piece in a box if or when it packs up....

Archived