Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Camera for LuntLS50THa

Dunc78

Hello, iv recently taken ownership of a new Lunt LS50THa solar scope, calling all owners can you show me your imaging set up, what camera do you find suits this scope best for imaging. Iv started looking at at few field of view calculators. Full disc close up.imaging would make things easier I guess? 

Thanks 

It's a while since I owned a Lunt 50 so hopefully Lunt has improved the design but imaging with it was difficult for two reasons.  Firstly the helical focuser was rubbish, certainly not capable of holding a camera too well and secondly I couldn't get back focus.  The only way to do it for me was to use EPP (eyepiece projection).  I quickly upgraded to the Lunt 60 which is designed more for imaging.  Hopefully someone will come along with their more recent setup.

On the field of view calculator the Asi120mm looks like it fills up the sensor snug. Would there be any issues achieving focus with this camera? Id bought it for imaging as I previously owned a pst and wanted something bigger and I had a 2nd hand quark that was very disappointing, unsure if it was faulty. Unfortunately a Lunt 60 is way out my price range. 

It’s been a while since I looked into using my ASI 120 MC with my LS50, so I can’t find the original source, but I’m reasonably sure it suffers from the same lack of infocus. If the sun was out I’d test it!

The suggested remedy was to shorten the camera’s ‘nose’ and replace the eyepiece clamp on the diagonal with a low profile one to gain a bit of infocus.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/astro-essentials-low-profile-camera-adapter-for-zwo-planetary-cameras.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/baader-ultrashort-1-t-2-eyepiece-clamp.html

It might be worth a try if you find you have problems 😊