NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Heritage 130p focus issues

Hi there, just purchased the Heritage 130p telescope for my daughter and having issues with focusing.

Even when trying to view the moon it's completely blurry. Have tried focusing but to no avail. 

Have left telescope outside for 30 mins beforehand to acclimatise to temp etc. Have tried both eye pieces that came with it but nothing seems to work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi let's help you to get started. Are the trusses fully extended and clicked into their full extension. Use the 25mm eyepiece lowest magnification and slowly wind the focuser from all the way in to all the way out somewhere along that you'll find focus.

Hi there, when you say trusses is that the tube your referring too? Apologies I'm total novice lol. If so yes I have extended tube fully and then slowly rotated the focuser several times but nothing seems to come into sharp focus. 

Thanks.

You may have the focuser lock on. Best approach is to test it during daylight - focus on a distant object well away from the Sun. Once you find focus, you can align the finder scope to the main scope as well. 

These scopes have a helical (twist) focuser, so there is no lock. If the struts/trusses are extended all the way and locked into place, then there shouldn’t be a problem. Can you see any features of the moon at all? Does it look almost in focus or is it just a brightness filling the eyepiece? Have you managed to see anything with the scope yet? I would also suggest trying to look at a distant object like a tree during the day (as mentioned please avoid sun!). My only other other thought is that the mirror is massively out if collimation, meaning you might struggle to see anything at all. 

Hi there, when you say trusses is that the tube your referring too? Apologies I'm total novice lol. If so yes I have extended tube fully and then slowly rotated the focuser several times but nothing seems to come into sharp focus. 

Thanks.

Thanks for coming back.

When trying to view the moon it's not nearly in focus. I just get a brightness filling the eyepiece. I will try later and focus on an object in daylight, like a tree etc just to see if it can focus on that.

Many thanks!

Make sure your daytime target is a long way off - ie: a KM or so, rather than meters. 

Another thing you can try is to twist the focuser all the way inwards, pop the 25mm eyepiece in but don't tighten the holding screw, view your distant target and then pull the eyepiece slowly out of the focuser while looking through it. See if you can find a point somewhere along the eyepiece movement where the scope does come to focus. That might tell you quite a bit about what's going on.

Did you buy the scope new ?.

Edited by John

If you don't have a view of things up to a kilometre away, don't worry - if something is about 100 metres away, the difference in focus position is only a bit over 4mm (which is about 2/3 of a turn of the focuser), so  it's not critical. 

If you can get a focus on anything over about 50m away (1.5 turns), then you will be able to get focus on something at infinity. 

Just to confirm; when extending the telescope, has it gone as far as the 'click'? 

Edited by Gfamily
recalculate difference based on focal length