Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Easy to use refractor suggestions?

52 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

Here's one that caught my eye. At F11 it is still not long by classical standards. And easy to use too! Just point fat end skyward and look through thin end. Simple!!:icon_cyclops_ani:

2024-03-0211_21_05.thumb.png.edc060ef51ec46b258816e0f878d06ac.png

Yeah, something like that 

1 hour ago, mikeDnight said:

Here's one that caught my eye. At F11 it is still not long by classical standards. And easy to use too! Just point fat end skyward and look through thin end. Simple!!:icon_cyclops_ani:

2024-03-0211_21_05.thumb.png.edc060ef51ec46b258816e0f878d06ac.png

Successor to the f11 102ed , now with fpl 53 glass an upgrade form the fk61 glass previously used.

Needs a sturdy mount like the Skytee 2 or simlar type design, HEQ5 etc,etc   of mount along with a sturdy tripod to suppress the length issues.

It looks pretty in Blue but agree with usual past comments White is better.

Edited by Naughty Neal

White is the only colour for telescopes. Black is a stupid colour for scopes. I had an old 10 inch black OO Europa some of us may remember back in the day on a later OO dob base. It had an absolutely appalling 1.25 r&r focuser, but that matters not. The point is the entire thing was black and I was continually walking into the damned thing in the dark. It was a health and safety nightmare…

Edited by Moonlit Night
  • Like 2

Especially because it avoids the 25% "special" US tariff on products from a certain country I won't name here.  And, if you stay under $800, there's no US import tariff due to the de minimus daily personal exemption.  That, and I've yet to see a non-US dealer collect and remit US state sales tax like Euro dealers expect US dealers to do for VAT.  Taken all together, it can often more than pay for the cross-pond shipping costs.  On eyepieces with low shipping costs, it's often a no-brainer to cross ship.

33 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

I'm not sure why we are recommending UK sourced items to someone who is in the US :wink2:

I missed that part. Was it the use of $ that gave it away? I can imagine number of people expressing value in $ while not being in US.

48 minutes ago, Elp said:

Tbh, I'd assume they'd automatically err towards researching local shops before thinking of importing.

Often safest.  Nothing like thinking you got a bargain on an expensive bit of kit to only be hit with a massive bill from customs when you it arrives in country.

19 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

Often safest.  Nothing like thinking you got a bargain on an expensive bit of kit to only be hit with a massive bill from customs when you it arrives in country.

Ive saved quite a bit importing, you have to run the numbers and a lot of the time it's just a few difference to not make it worthwhile, sometimes it's significant. It is your own money after all, so decide how to use it based on your needs.

On 01/03/2024 at 19:54, bosun21 said:

I would choose a Maksutov over an achromatic refractor especially for the planets. You will also have the added benefit of tcking and go to. I am one who hates CA while observing and a Maksutov will provide near apo performance.

Hi @Mr Brownstone and welcome to SGL.

I agree with @bosun21 says above for a Maksutov. For decent and respectable planetary images you need focal ratios in double figures as a minimum. Also, if you decide on travelling to far-flung places on planet Earth by air travel, a ‘compact’ Maksutov or SCT can/or maybe as ‘carry-on’ baggage with some airlines, (check week a week or two in advance with the travel agent, airline rep and/or handling agent before you travel or get to the airport... not on the day).

One other thing you need to budget for is a suitable mount and tripod. Does your budget of include this? US$300US is limited... US$800.00 is possible but with some limitation.

Apolgies in advance if I appear negative or rude, but once you get a nice and decent setup, it will last a lifetime or generations.

Of the equipment as shown in my signature [highlighted in bold font/text] and if I travel by ‘plane I will take the TeleVue Ranger and/or the Meade ETX-105, star diagonals, the ‘planetary’ zoom e/p’s, a few fixed focal length e/p’s, filters and few other accessories. The mount and tripod will be packed in a suitcase.

Edited by RT65CB-SWL
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ratlet said:

So far, staying under the $800 de minimus exemption has kept me from having to deal with customs.  Saving 8.25% on sales tax is nothing to sneeze at, either, although some US retailers don't have to collect it if they do less than a certain amount of business yearly in a given state.  I always check all sources state-side and world-wide to find the best deals.

• Like 1

You've all given me a lot to think about. I think I'll give my xt-8 another couple of tries before making decision. I like the views it gives but have barely used it because I hate using the red dot finder which I have left on accidentally and burned out the battery out twice(all those round adjustments dials. Why not just an on off switch ?)

I don't like sitting down and trying to star hop with the xt-8 monster. I'm used to a spotting scope and managed to do well with a small reflector scope and a small refractor when I was a kid. Skies were darker then and I saw so much more than I've managed to see now. Planets are no problem with xt-8 as are the m42 and the one in the teapot asterism but trying to find other dso has been tough for me.. What I really might need is an assistant amateur astronomer to help me out! -thanks for all your input!

You could add a RACI finder, Rigel QuickFinder, and/or a green laser sight to make using the Dob easier.  Here's one of my finder setups along these lines:

1404647876_NighttimeFinders5.thumb.JPG.381ac46a14d34b0263d650cc83169146.JPG

They're mounted on a three way finder extension.

• Like 1

Following on from above... If you live near an aerodrome/airport or anywhere that has a large volume of air-traffic at night, civil or military, forget the laser pointer option... you may be the next target!

20 hours ago, Mr Brownstone said:

trying to find other dso has been tough for me.. What I really might need is an assistant amateur astronomer to help me out!

Also known as a GoTo mount. 🙂

Or a digital setting circle upgrade for the XT-8.