Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

We had a spectacular rainbow yesterday at around 5pm.  It was against a very dark cloud backdrop so the contrast was excellent.  The outer counterbow, at the height of the display was similar to an average rainbow.  At the time it crossed my mind that if the scarcity of aurora was reversed to that of rainbows, enthusiasts would travel the World to see them.   🙂

• Like 4

Never tire of a good rainbow.  I recall one insomina plagued night when I was studying physics at university and I stumbled across an open university program on the physics of rainbows and it got pretty complex on the maths.  I love that complex physics can give rise to beautiful phenomena.  It is one of the reasons I stargaze.

edit: looked back through my photos and found one from March 2022 which was pretty intense but still did not do justice to the visual spectacle.

image001.thumb.jpeg.f484f908c64d1cb88088931fc0d97e9f.jpeg

Edited by DirkSteele
Added photo
  • Like 8

Since I moved to the country side - I often get to see very prominent rainbows.

Here is one image I took with my phone that shows both first and second order diffraction spectrum:

rainbow.jpg.0ac06c0f45c3abc9873c7c4bb91bf54e.jpg

• Like 4

Even industrial Birmingham looks ( slightly ) better under a rainbow :) 

image.jpeg.60aec48dea9fc886bce4c69d38549eab.jpeg

Taken a few years ago on my phone from an office window where I was working at the time.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Adreneline said:

Didn't realise Brocken Spectre was included @shinebug777

130982bf-cd90-4751-9b81-0e5ed6247da9.thumb.jpeg.6a8185bf299355879608f400f630004f.jpeg

Caught flying out of Frankfurt on route to Prague - with my iPhone.

ooo thanks i didn't know it had a name! great pic yourself, the blue is so vivid!

• Thanks 1