Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mirror blank

Mumia

Hello, is there any other company than Galvoptics where I can get higher quality Pyrex or Suprax blanks? I need a diameter of approx. 415-420 mm and a thickness of approx. 45 mm.
Regards, Chris

Edited by Mumia
  • Like 1

• Mumia changed the title to Mirror blank

I tried to contact most of the people from that thread, but there was no response. That's why I decided to refresh the topic. I also heard about this company from Germany, but what I was most interested in, was someone reliable from our neighborhood. Contact with Galvoptics is also very difficult. I write and call and I feel like I'm being ignored. Maybe you still have someone reliable and good to contact.

Edited by Mumia
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Mumia said:

Hello, is there any other company than Galvoptics where I can get higher quality Pyrex or Suprax blanks? I need a diameter of approx. 415-420 mm and a thickness of approx. 45 mm.
Regards, Chris

You might try SGL member Peter Drew. If he doesn’t know a supplier then no one does😊

• Like 1

Despite the kind accolade I think I would draw a blank on this one (pun intended).  Since I "retired" in 2006 all the suppliers I was familiar with seem to be no longer in business.    ☹️

When I was making mirrors 20+ years ago I purchased my borosilicate blanks direct from Schott U.K. Ltd. The largest piece that they did as a single cast was 500mm x500mm square x 40mm thick. These I has water jet cut to a circle by a company whose name I cannot remember.  If memory serves the 16"dia discs were 75mm thick. I suggest that you contact Schott U.K. and they will advise on who can supply their materials. ( Suprax and Duran are their trade names for borosilicate)

Nigel

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Astrobits said:

When I was making mirrors 20+ years ago I purchased my borosilicate blanks direct from Schott U.K. Ltd. The largest piece that they did as a single cast was 500mm x500mm square x 40mm thick. These I has water jet cut to a circle by a company whose name I cannot remember.  If memory serves the 16"dia discs were 75mm thick. I suggest that you contact Schott U.K. and they will advise on who can supply their materials. ( Suprax and Duran are their trade names for borosilicate)

Nigel

thanks, I will try to contact them directly. We'll see what comes out.

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the Borocillicate blanks are now made in China. If you buy them from a supplier in UK as I have done , they just get them from China. I purchase them direct from China and they seem to be good quality. You can get up to 16 inches in diameter  and I think up to 50mm thick

• 2 weeks later...

I got my 20 inch borosilicate mirror blank a few years ago from Spectra Glass in Scotland.  They still sell blanks. I sent them an email but had to also ring them to get a response. They mainly sell glass to businesses but they were happy to sell me a blank, once I rang and explained what I needed. It is 40 mm thick.

I am still working on the mirror!

I hope to finish  it  this year.

• Like 1