SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Remote TV images (unconventional?)

mike.brightmore

Hi formyscope,

I have pretty much the same setup as this. The only way to get the 'live' views of DSOs that you're asking for is to get either a Watec 120n camera(which is what I and Mike here have) or a Mintron camera. Personally I went for the Watec as the overall quality is better, but it is more expensive than the Mintron.:)

Stef

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel a project coming on:) A brillaint project and looks very well executed too. Actually I am in the early stages of planning a remote set up to be worked from the comfort of my garage which is carpeted and heated.

When I've finished helping an electrician friend build his patio decking, he's going to help me sort out cabling etc for hooking up my equipment to work remotely in the garage. We're working on linking all the cabling into one or two block connectors that can just plug in to a waterproof socket on the outside of the garage -the cabling then runs in to the garage and the computer etc. I can't position my scope outside permanently so I'll still have to set up each night which is why a quick and easy way to plug all the cables in will save time. - One bus from the scope to the garage wall.

Before I can really get going I need to sort out a new electric focuser - I found the one I built for my previous scope (Celestron Nexstar 6SE) so valuable for imaging. Now I've got an 8" Newt I need to build a suitable focuser for it - any links or help on that would be appreciated.

This remote operation is definately the way to go on cold winter nights. I'm hoping that by next winter (not this year) I'll be set up.

Sorry, haven't been checking this thread recently.

Hi GazOC - I love the Skyshed POD. It is everything I'd hoped for. There is a Yahoo User Group for POD owners where you can get a lot of information from.......... skyshed-pod-uk : SkyShed POD UK Observatories Mine is the 'Cleethorpes POD' in the photo section.There are a few recent improvements and the only drawback is not being able to see zenith.

Hi formyscope - Stefski has answered your query and you really need an integrating video camera like the Watec 120N. This stacks a few seconds worth of video frames (typically 25 frames per second) to form the image that goes to the TV screen so it is actually better than the direct view you get through the eyepiece. The camera has an AV output lead (the same as you would use to to view photos from a digital still camera on a TV). This lead just plugs into the AV (yellow) socket in the TV and there's the image.

I also got a little wireless video transmitter / receiver from Maplins so I can plug the AV lead from the camera into the transmitter and then plug the receiver into any TV (shed, lounge, bedroom etc.). This works fine on any old TV or new digital ones. The facility is there on the camera to use SVideo but I haven't tried that yet. You can also use a 'video grabber' lead to convert the AV to digital and feed into a USB port on a PC or laptop if you want to record AVI video and convert to stills by stacking in a program like Registax.

Hope this helps. I've started putting a few Messier objects images on a Picasa Web Album ...... Picasa Web Albums - Michael - Messier Objects#

There are some more pictures of the set-up on this Picasa web album .......... Picasa Web Albums - Michael - Remote Astron...#

Hi Sparrow - I was doing DSLR imaging one night in January when I was outside for 5 hours at minus 5 centigrade. Just about got hyperthermia. That's when I got this idea. Also planning for my old age and it is good for showing other people a few DSOs.

Archived