Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Probably my last go at M42 this year before it dissapears behind the garage.

Captured with SW ED80PRO With AA294C ProTec Camera with AA Quad band filter, guided on NEQ6PRO Mount.

Consists of 90 x 60 sec lights, 10 Darks, 40 Flat frames.

I think its come out very red because of the filter, moon was very close too which wont of helped.

Attached is the .TIFF if anyone can salvage anything. The more i try to get out of it the bigger stars are bloating out of control too.

Clear skies, cheers for looking

Stu

90mins2.jpg

Autosave001.tif

Edited by Stu Wilson
  • Like 8

Oh I like that. I've just had my second run at processing m42 to get the core under control (https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/418428-m42-orions-nebula-first-attempt-at-multiple-exposures-stacking-please-critique/).

I had to go back and take low exposure subs and re-do processing. Did you take multiple exposures / how did you handle the core processing?

I think I've got clear skies tonight, but next cloudy one I'm definitely having a look at that tif!

Cheers

Excellent image. Loadsa detail you don't usually see.

I'm absolutely useless with colour, but had a go HOO. It may help in controlling the red a little. 

Cheers

**@stu: have you had a go at this with the same filter on your f4? Should be an interesting comparison.

Autosave001-a.thumb.jpg.949613aa91752aea5684b00931ff496b.jpg

Edited by alacant
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, alacant said:

Excellent image. Loadsa detail you don't usually see.

I'm absolutely useless with colour, but had a go HOO. It may help in controlling the red a little. 

Cheers

**@stu: have you had a go at this with the same filter on your f4? Should be an interesting comparison.

Autosave001-a.thumb.jpg.949613aa91752aea5684b00931ff496b.jpg

I need to try that out. For the last 5 months I've had the ED80 sitting on mount waiting for cloudless sky. Its done nothing but rain. But if I get the chance I want to try that and without filter too.

Here's my humble effort. Didn't have a lot of time but was keen to have a go on data from a 'proper' camera. Background was a challenge, I think it's strayed into being over-processed / unnatural look though. Particularly when trying to neutralise the red a bit outside the nebula.

The camera and raw data is amazing though - you don't need a separate set of under exposed captures.

StargazerAutosave001copy.thumb.jpg.5ae5285292c7790ee439e8d8c57d5820.jpg

I agree. When processing in photoshop use the layers features and bring the original/underlaying parts through and use the gaussian blur to make them sit right.

I always think M42 is like trying to process M31 without blowing it all out trying to get the fainter stuff to show.

My skills are slowly picking up.

The main problem is those 5 months over summer where you forget everything you've learned.

Stu

ok heres a special treat. My good friend Jon has said to post his data .TIFF file from star camp 2 weeks ago of the same subject......

It was taken with the same camera but on an edge 9.25 with hyperstar so is f/2 imaging. 

Ive processed an amazing result but see what you can get...... 

Not very often you get to share this data. ENJOY!!

PS Youlll have to do a horizontal flip to get true orientation due to hyperstar attachment.

M42 Hyperstar.tif