Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Good to go

19 minutes ago, scotttumsh said:

yep that was one of the videos i had found, think i have cracked it. well ivgot it moving using Nina at least! thanks for your help. very much appreciated😀

no probs, all i did was say give nina a go its pretty easy :)

3 minutes ago, AstroMuni said:

If you are plate solving you dont need to do the 2/3 star alignment. With every platesolve, the mount model will be updated to make it more accurate.

thank you for your comment. i appreciate any advice, i have only recently upgraded to a goto style of mount and found it all a bit daunting. folks like you help massively. thanks again 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, scotttumsh said:

thank you for your comment. i appreciate any advice, i have only recently upgraded to a goto style of mount and found it all a bit daunting. folks like you help massively. thanks again 

im in same boat as you then :) i took some shots of orion with a dslr and old lens  and liked it so i bought a the gti. i've spent maybe a total of 12 hours under the stars with it so far and am so recent to nina i've not had clear enough skies to do more than 3ppa. at least it should all be ready to go if i ever see stars again. 

21 minutes ago, scotttumsh said:

I know exactly how you feel as I was in same boat during covid when I started my journey into AP 🙂 

17 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

im in same boat as you then :) i took some shots of orion with a dslr and old lens  and liked it so i bought a the gti. i've spent maybe a total of 12 hours under the stars with it so far and am so recent to nina i've not had clear enough skies to do more than 3ppa. at least it should all be ready to go if i ever see stars again. 

haha superb. ye the skies down here in the borders have been rubbish as well. i bought the Gti and an evolux 62 ed at the same time and i do have some good pictures with them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AstroMuni said:

I know exactly how you feel as I was in same boat during covid when I started my journey into AP 🙂 

i was using my eq3-2 with motors for years and was getting ok results, i guess i just want to get better and there for bought the new mount and scope. not moved on from my dslr though!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, scotttumsh said:

i was using my eq3-2 with motors for years and was getting ok results, i guess i just want to get better and there for bought the new mount and scope. not moved on from my dslr though!

In that case I was way behind you as I had started the astronomy journey in earnest around 6 months prior and then got straight into AP.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AstroMuni said:

If you are plate solving you dont need to do the 2/3 star alignment. With every platesolve, the mount model will be updated to make it more accurate.

So does the GTi mounts model get updated or a model in Nina, or both or?

Genuinely no idea, sorry :

I can't even guess why Nina might have a model because plate solving exists.

Do these models get reset on turning off/on? Should I be using my synscan app to reset alignment even though I only use it as a middle man for Nina?

Apologies, this hobby seems to generate more questions than answers :)

Edited by TiffsAndAstro

If you're using a computer controller there is no model alignment, star alignment or whatever you're doing. You polar align, that's it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

So does the GTi mounts model get updated or a model in Nina, or both or?

My understanding based on how it works in Ekos is that the software maintains a mount model which takes into account the accuracy of PA etc. This is updated every time you platesolve and allows it to calculate the slew needed to accurately reach an object. The software has options to save the model on your computer so its reused the next time (this would work only if you havent moved the scope & mount, eg.in an observatory). I dont know if the model is saved onto the mount itself as different mounts may or may not have that capability to retain this info.

Here is the explanation from Stellarmate page:

Each time an image is plate-solved successfully, a Sync point is appended to the Mount Model. With more points added, the mount GOTO accuracy would improve especially if there are sync points close to the GOTO target.

Edited by AstroMuni
  • Like 1

You can normally sync the mount once you've done a plate solve though I've never felt the need to do this as you have plate solving at your fingertips.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AstroMuni said:

My understanding based on how it works in Ekos is that the software maintains a mount model which takes into account the accuracy of PA etc. This is updated every time you platesolve and allows it to calculate the slew needed to accurately reach an object. The software has options to save the model on your computer so its reused the next time (this would work only if you havent moved the scope & mount, eg.in an observatory). I dont know if the model is saved onto the mount itself as different mounts may or may not have that capability to retain this info.

Here is the explanation from Stellarmate page:

Each time an image is plate-solved successfully, a Sync point is appended to the Mount Model. With more points added, the mount GOTO accuracy would improve especially if there are sync points close to the GOTO target.

ty for this. i don't use Ekos but ill try and have a google around nina and mount models, because i just don't think nina works this way as it has plate solving to find targets.

1 hour ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

don't think nina works this way as it has plate solving to find targets.

And so does Ekos. In fact it can work with its own Platesolver or use external ones like ASTAP

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, AstroMuni said:

And so does Ekos. In fact it can work with its own Platesolver or use external ones like ASTAP

Think I'm gonna find  an in depth look at Nina find out more how the magic works :)