Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Klaus Helemrich - customer experiences

Astrofail

Anyone dealt with this guy _recently_ as either a private or business customer?

Bought a custom cf tube CUF, from him for soon-to-be over a year ago but still no show. Correspondence is always prompt but only after I initiate it, not any spontaneous updates due to setbacks or delays. Those you have to ask for explicity if you want an answer, which basically by now I consider to be only excuses for whatever reasons he might have not to deliver on the order. Admittedly he has said he was beginning to step away from the cf tube business, so theres that, but if unable to deliver, dont take peoples money, or so I tought?

Meh.

Yes I have two of his tubes. One I bought, a 300mm, in Nov 2020 and a 200mm in Feb 2022. Your description pretty much matches my experience. He got COVID just after I ordered the first one and he went silent for months. Then it suddenly arrived. On the strength of its quality I asked despite him having said he was stepping back for a time whether he could do a 200mm. He didn’t answer for months, then suddenly emailed “did you still want that 200”? I said yes and it arrived.

It just seems to be the way he conducts himself, I know a few craftsmen who produce lovely stuff who operate in a similar way, so it doesn’t surprise me. I’m very patient so I don’t mind. I look at it that he’s not a crook, he makes things I admire, I can wait.

@ONIKKINEN also has a tube of his which he bought directly.

Cheers, Magnus

• Thanks 1

My tube spent around 6 months on its way from purchase to delivery. There was some brief e-mail discussion a few times during the first couple of months because he originally quoted 'a few weeks' for delivery so i asked if there was any progress. He did mention that the painter, which is another person, was ill and so tubes were delayed for a few months so i left it at that, this was also during Covid so very understandable. One day it arrived and it was well worth the wait, i just kind of wish he would give a realistic estimate in the initial discussion, and wouldn't mind at all if he just said "sometime next year" or similar. Its like a gift from past me to future me that way 😁.

He is probably overworked, since he also supplies tubes for the TS ONTC newtonians, which are somewhat popular and those tubes take a while to build. Would be a real shame if he decides to retire as the tubes are immaculate and exactly the dimensions you order them (and actually not too expensive for what you get), but obviously understandable if there is just too much work for one person.

• Like 1