Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron Starsense Explorer DX 6"

Has anyone any experience with this rig? I’d be interested as it’s a very affordable way to get. 6” SCT on what looks a very sturdy mount - looks a great beginner set up 

@Beardy30 No experience with it but it looks a great setup to start out with, plus as you mentioned, a great price for an SCT Telescope! Just one thing, are you aware that SCT type telescopes are only really good for Planets, splitting stars, Globular Star Clusters and the smaller Galaxies and Nebula? They won't do much for large Nebula or large galaxies? That aside, Celestron are great quality and the Starsense tech looks brilliant for beginners, helping them find their way around the sky without needing a GoTo setup.

• Like 1

Just now, Stu1smartcookie said:

I think once you have a diagonal and an EP and an RDF or some other type of finder you will be getting to the upper limits but the good thing is , the c6 is quite short so it should be ok 

Yes thats my thoughts also 

20 hours ago, wesdon1 said:

Just one thing, are you aware that SCT type telescopes are only really good for Planets, splitting stars, Globular Star Clusters and the smaller Galaxies and Nebula? They won't do much for large Nebula or large galaxies? That aside, Celestron are great quality and the Starsense tech looks brilliant for beginners, helping them find their way around the sky without needing a GoTo setup.

This argument about the small field gets trotted out almost every time SCTs and MAKs are mentioned.  But let's ask, how many objects are there, that you can see with a small telescope in the kind of environment where most of us live, but will not fit into the field of view of a small SCT or Maksutov?  I think, not many at all. 

When I acquired my 127mm Mak, focal length 1500mm, I found that a handful of large and bright open clusters would not fit into the field of view, but thousands of other objects did.

As for large galaxies, quite a few are big when imaged, but do they look big when seen through a small telescope in Bortle 6 skies? No, they don't.  All you see is a fuzz of the central nucleus. Same with small and large nebulae which asides from M42 are basically invisible in an urban environment.

An aside about the Celestron C6 - this is a long-established design and is available as a bare optical tube and also with an unusual variety of mounts, from serious mounts valued at around £1000 to starter mounts which depending on the deal on offer may be included at almost no extra cost.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Beardy30 said:

Yes I’ve previously had a 8” sct and I’ve regretted selling ever since - this option looks a get deal to get a sct 

@Beardy30 Oh right ok great, so you know exactly what you're buying. Ironically, you saying you regret selling your 8" SCT, well I'm currently looking for an 8" SCT myself, because I already own reflectors, Refractors but need a scope with the much longer native FL like SCT's and Maks have, because I want to really improve my Planetary and small DSO imaging! Just the damn cost of larger SCT's and Maks! They're eye-wateringly expensive! LOL. I did actually strongly consider buying the exact 6" Mak you mentioned but as is often the case, my aperture fever demands nothing less than 8 inches aperture! 🤷‍♂️😂

50 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

This argument about the small field gets trotted out almost every time SCTs and MAKs are mentioned.  But let's ask, how many objects are there, that you can see with a small telescope in the kind of environment where most of us live, but will not fit into the field of view of a small SCT or Maksutov?  I think, not many at all. 

When I acquired my 127mm Mak, focal length 1500mm, I found that a handful of large and bright open clusters would not fit into the field of view, but thousands of other objects did.

As for large galaxies, quite a few are big when imaged, but do they look big when seen through a small telescope in Bortle 6 skies? No, they don't.  All you see is a fuzz of the central nucleus. Same with small and large nebulae which asides from M42 are basically invisible in an urban environment.

An aside about the Celestron C6 - this is a long-established design and is available as a bare optical tube and also with an unusual variety of mounts, from serious mounts valued at around £1000 to starter mounts which depending on the deal on offer may be included at almost no extra cost.

@Cosmic Geoff Hey jeff! I totally see the logic in your sentiments Geoff. What I was trying to tell the man, based on my assumption he was totally new to the hobby, was the nature and capabilities of the Catadioptric type designs. I wasn't trying to put him off, or "knock" the catadioptric 'scopes, I was just trying to help him make an informed decision. I have later discovered he has actually owned an SCT before, so he's well informed already.

Also, I was telling him the Celestron brand is great quality and a great price? But from the comments you've made it appears you might have misunderstood what I was trying to tell him? Absolutely no problem though! We need open and honest discussions on here so we can all learn from each other!

Kindest regards, Wes.

Wesdon1 - Fine, but I think we have too much mention of the narrow FOV of SCTs and Maks. It would be equally useful to novices to point out which telescope designs (fast achromats) do not work well on planets and double stars, or need  more sophisticated eyepieces to do so (f5 reflectors). And warn them about wobbly entry level mounts. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wesdon1 said:

@Cosmic Geoff Hey jeff! I totally see the logic in your sentiments Geoff. What I was trying to tell the man, based on my assumption he was totally new to the hobby, was the nature and capabilities of the Catadioptric type designs. I wasn't trying to put him off, or "knock" the catadioptric 'scopes, I was just trying to help him make an informed decision. I have later discovered he has actually owned an SCT before, so he's well informed already.

Also, I was telling him the Celestron brand is great quality and a great price? But from the comments you've made it appears you might have misunderstood what I was trying to tell him? Absolutely no problem though! We need open and honest discussions on here so we can all learn from each other!

Kindest regards, Wes.

Thanks Wes much appreciated- incidentally I’m not new to the hobby and totally understand your view and appreciate your help - thank u ☺️ 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

Wesdon1 - Fine, but I think we have too much mention of the narrow FOV of SCTs and Maks. It would be equally useful to novices to point out which telescope designs (fast achromats) do not work well on planets and double stars, or need  more sophisticated eyepieces to do so (f5 reflectors). And warn them about wobbly entry level mounts. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

Plus 1 for the above ... i have just bought a 180 Mak and already i am seeing DSO's that i thought i wouldnt see due to the "experts" narrow viewpoint ( pun absolutely intended )  . 

On 15/02/2024 at 13:38, Cosmic Geoff said:

@Cosmic Geoff Yes I would normally have mentioned those other important things in about astro gear but he was asking a very specific question about the Celestron 6" SCT price etc, so I kinda got fixated on telling him about the pro's and cons of them specifically. On that subject of wobbly/inadequate mounts, I remember a few years ago when starting out, I mounted a 4" achro F11 refractor to a skinny DSLR camera tripod while saving up for a proper mount, and I swear it was hilariously impossible to get the damn 'scope to stop wobbling while trying to view things!! Nightmare!! 😂

On 15/02/2024 at 15:11, Beardy30 said:

Thanks Wes much appreciated- incidentally I’m not new to the hobby and totally understand your view and appreciate your help - thank u ☺️ 

@Beardy30 Aww thanks James! You're welcome! ☺️

• Like 1