Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Turn left at orion

Feeling chuffed.  I picked up a copy for just £3.48, used but good.  Biblio books aka brit books.  They get shocking reviews on trust pilot etc so I fully expected it wouldn't turn up and I'd be claiming a refund from the credit card company,  but no!  It's arrived in good time.  At that price I feel like keeping an eye out for a second copy to just scrawl on when at the scope!

• Like 11

A lovely book that evokes so much nostalgia for me 😊

Do you mean biblio.co.uk? If so, I think clarification is in order. Biblio is a platform that allows independent bookshops/vendors to sell (typically used) books. They have an excellent international reputation and track record of ethical practices, such as carbon-offset shipping (which isn't at all a perfect solution but that at least draws attention to the climate emergency). Although I haven't looked, my guess is that people who complain on Trustpilot are mainly upset about a specific vendor and are erroneously blaming Biblio, which is just a platform. I've bought from Biblio for years with no problems at all, and I wouldn't want to see their reputation incorrectly harmed... especially because they provide an alternative to the actually harmful businesses from which we can easily purchase used books.

Edited by The60mmKid
  • Like 1

On 11/02/2024 at 09:58, The60mmKid said:

A lovely book that evokes so much nostalgia for me 😊

Do you mean biblio.co.uk? If so, I think clarification is in order. Biblio is a platform that allows independent bookshops/vendors to sell (typically used) books. They have an excellent international reputation and track record of ethical practices, such as carbon-offset shipping (which isn't at all a perfect solution but that at least draws attention to the climate emergency). Although I haven't looked, my guess is that people who complain on Trustpilot are mainly upset about a specific vendor and are erroneously blaming Biblio, which is just a platform. I've bought from Biblio for years with no problems at all, and I wouldn't want to see their reputation incorrectly harmed... especially because they provide an alternative to the actually harmful businesses from which we can easily purchase used books.

Yes that's the site and yes I suspect you are correct.  It was brit books that supplied the book and had tnt terrible trust pilot scores.  Biblio score well on trust pilot but there are plenty of bad reviews lodged with them.

Great book at a great price. I actually found the book "Stargazing Under Suburban Skies" to be better than TLO in all regards. I still occasionally refer to it if I find myself forgetting a particular star hop to a given target.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If people are looking for a 'step up' book from TLAO, I can suggest the Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders. It only covers constellations visible from the Northern Hemisphere, but it has a wide range of targets, and a lot of useful information.

Google Books preview available

https://books.google.com/books/about/Illustrated_Guide_to_Astronomical_Wonder.html?id=ymt9nj_uPhwC#v=onepage&q&f=false

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/02/2024 at 09:01, Gfamily said:

If people are looking for a 'step up' book from TLAO, I can suggest the Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders. It only covers constellations visible from the Northern Hemisphere, but it has a wide range of targets, and a lot of useful information.

Google Books preview available

https://books.google.com/books/about/Illustrated_Guide_to_Astronomical_Wonder.html?id=ymt9nj_uPhwC#v=onepage&q&f=false

Great tip thanks @Gfamily

Arrived a few days ago and looks excellent!

Malcolm 

20240301_165232.thumb.jpg.cb26114265e8810af5b67b092ba07279.jpg

• Like 4

Snap 2. I got mine as a prize in my primary school. I set myself the task of learning the Greek alphabet from it - can still recite it 60 years later....😂 There was something so enthralling about PM's enthusiasm.

• Like 1