Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Kelling Spring 2024 Star Party

Kelling Heath dont seem to advertise very well, so here's a reminder.

Still plenty of spaces - 5th to the 12 March 2024

Phone on 01263 588181 and say its for the Spring Star Party.

At least two fields will be blacked out for the week. There's a bar, restaurant and other amenities.

Vendors on the Saturday!

Here's me last Spring.....

IMG_3473.jpeg

Edited by AstroKeith
add photo
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, icpn said:

The way the weather is going you may need a houseboat Keith

I've decided to not even look at forecasts - they are both depressing and often wrong! Last November at Haw Wood the forecast was dire, yet we got 4 reasonable nights. Spring 2022 just after Kelling re-opened I took a chance and moved my week back, and got 7 out of 8. I've also had entire weeks with not observing. Pot luck. At least Kelling Heath drains well.

I look upon it as a rest too. Chill out time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AstroKeith said:

Just an update - 

Kelling Heath have created a special menu for the star party. Each night there is a meal and drink offer. A good response after previous criticisms about prices!

Let's hope that folks support it!

• 2 weeks later...

Just getting the gear ready for Kelling. Old school manual setup and some sketching planned. I was going to take the 8 inch dob but I decided against it. Feel free to change my mind.

80mm SV503. AZ5 mount. Lightweight tripod (I might regret that).

IMG_5879.thumb.jpeg.99f232a4980b4cae01984a3c598a9fbe.jpeg

• Like 2

We'll be there. My husband sketches too. He's bringing his 152 refractor. I do astrophotography. We're on yellow 149. I just wish the weather forecast would stop changing! Though it may give us time to enjoy the restaurant deals....

As to your tripod elastic tie downs could help steady your tripod. Kelling is known for its wind, it can make it tricky for large telescopes.

Edited by Anne S
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Richard N said:

I was going to take the 8 inch dob but I decided against it. Feel free to change my mind.

It’s a tricky decision isn’t it? Last autumn I started off with plans to take both a manual mount and a goto mount with at least three scopes (plus binoculars), as I had a friend coming. In the end though I felt I didn’t need the hassle of electronics and it probably wouldn’t be clear anyway, so I simplified and took the Skytee with my 102ED on one side and the C8 on the other. I probably ended up using the 102ED most of the time in the end. 

This spring I feel I will need the aperture of the 8” for all those galaxies, so I will probably take the same setup again. 👍

• Like 1

Good to hear folk talking about the upcoming Kelling 😀 Planning on going up Friday for the w/e with my 18” dob, towards top of red field,  scope is badly overdue some action. Forecast for Friday FWIW looks hopeful. No show from me for  the last 4 Kellings I booked. Last time saw a subtle shift in policy- for a paid no-show if you phone up during the post Star Party re-booking window when your pitch is supposedly held, in a no-show senario your pitch isn’t necessarily safe for rebooking 

• Like 1

On 06/03/2024 at 08:21, icpn said:

update so far, misty and very damp. Clear slot for tonight has disappeared. Not seen the ground this wet before

Fortunately the clear skies reappeared. Last night was clear until about 22:30. Lots of dew though. 

Two 'clear' half nights out of 7, but still had a great time. Great to see so many there. Good to see Widescreen and Altair Astro on the Saturday.

Kelling did a fantastic offer on the food. Monday night's curry was awesome.

• Like 2

possibly one of the worst Kelling's on record for visual observers with the mositure and light pollution. The imagers seem to have had a good time though and comet 12P was awasome.

• Like 1

I only had a few hours of hazy skies one evening out of three, but still managed to see some good things, mostly through my neighbours' enormous dobsonians. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, icpn said:

possibly one of the worst Kelling's on record for visual observers with the mositure and light pollution. The imagers seem to have had a good time though and comet 12P was awasome.

I was very glad that I had invested in a dew heater after seeing @cajen2 using his last year. That first clear night was very wet. 

Edited by Richard N
  • Like 1