Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First light ZWO ASI294MC

Hello my first post! Enjoying the site very much. Some great images here. 

Pretty much all new stuff except for the scope. Getting all this new equipment how it all works in my old head has been quite the challenge!

Finally figured out the backspacing (I think). I couldn’t get the guide camera to focus last night but I did get that sorted out today, needed to shift the spacers from front to back of OAG and that

Finally figured out the backspacing (I think). I couldn’t get the guide camera to focus last night but I did get that sorted out today, needed to shift the spacers from front to back of OAG and that seemed to do the trick. I have it focused and guiding right now on M1. 

But last night was great getting M51 about 1.5 hours of data, will get more time with it in the next day or so. And will have the guider working so longer exposures will be possible.

10” LX200 @f/.63, Sky-Watcher CQ350Pro, ASI 294MC, ASI174 Mini. ASIAIR Plus.

10” LX20 @f/.63Sky-Watcher, ASI 294MC, ASI174 Mini. ASIAIR plusNo filter3

53509580744_7381f3d54e_o.jpeg

Edited by Craig Shriever
spacing
  • Like 8

Is this your first ever image? Even if not it's fantastic. Great shot and more data will only make it better. What did you use for processing?

One thing you might want to look at is the galaxy is a little blown out. I guess you were trying to show the fainter extents of M51? However, in doing so I think you are losing a lot of the detail and colour you have there. I hope you don't mind but I took your image and lowered the highlights in LightRoom, then increased the saturation in Pixinsight and gave it a blast of BlurXterminator.

A lot if this is subjective so forgive me if it's not to your taste but I think you can see more detail here and little bit more of the colour. I think this video from Adam Block is great if you have PixInsight. Otherwise there are other ways. In any case, great image. Thanks for sharing and please post more!

m51-Edit.png.204794dc804ae2aaf52f4e72c95f6bfb.png

Edited by Icesheet
added link
  • Like 1

Thanks! I really like your edit much better. I have been watching so many videos lol. Adam Block is one of the folks that I have been watching. I collected another 1hr or so of data last night that I will incorporate and see how it looks. Thanks for the tips, much appreciated!  If you don’t mind sharing how did you increase the saturation in PixInsight? Very new to the program and it’s quite overwhelming with all its features. Thanks. 

Edited by Craig Shriever
  • Like 1

Yeah it’s a bit daunting when you first start using the software but worth it!

There are a few ways, but here I just used Curves Transformation and globally pulled up the saturation. 

IMG_3843.jpeg.692f7335adf283c39c9f454c913745a6.jpeg

Thanks everyone! I used PixInsight to align, stack and do some processing. Like I said I’m just starting out with it so much to learn. I do have Lightroom and PS which I am very familiar with I do wildlife and nature photography also but PixInsight is another animal altogether ! 

Thanks for the welcome and the tips its very much appreciated. I will keep at it and I’m sure I will slowly learn…with all you fine folks help that is! 

• Like 1