Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is it OK to remove finders?

12 minutes ago, LondonNeil said:

For storage I mean.  If you remove the finder scope to store your tube away in a neat box or whatever,  will the finder point in the same place when next put back on?

It should be ok as long as you don't alter the adjustment screws and you are removing it as a compleat unit ie including bracket.it may be a Little out but not much,I have removed my finder with no real problem in the past

• Like 1

If the finder bracket goes back at a slightly different angle the alignment will be out a touch but it really isn't a problem because realigning a finder literally takes a few seconds of your observing time. Just point the main scope at Polaris and then center up in the finder with the adjustment screws. I find that I have to this quite a bit in my observing sessions because I'm always knocking my head against the finder😁.

• Haha 1

I sometimes think I aught to do this with my 12". I always seem to knock the finders when lifting it in and out of the shed. My Telrad has fallen off numerous times!

On 04/02/2024 at 22:38, LondonNeil said:

For storage I mean.  If you remove the finder scope to store your tube away in a neat box or whatever,  will the finder point in the same place when next put back on?

Hi Neil - that SW 8x50 finder on the Mak stays pretty true, certainly I took it off the 'scope to & from every session outside the garden. 

I just used to make sure I pushed the mounting bracket fully home so it got locked into the same place each time. 

• Like 1