NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sh2-282 to 284 in Monoceros

gorann

These objects from the Sharpless catalogue, residing a bit south of the Rosette, are rather low on my southern horizon, but this is at least the best time of the year to give it a shot. They are also surprisingly rarely imaged.

NGC 2282 (aka IC 2172 and vdB 85) in the top left quadrant is a rather complex object,  classified both as a star cluster, reflection nebula and Ha region. (at least one paper has been written about it https://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1997AJ....113.1788H). When I noted the red Ha emitting "ball" just above Sh2-284 I was thinking planetary nebula, but it is only classified as a Ha region in Simbad, and it is not in the HASH data base of PNs and PN candidates.

Caught with my dual-RASA8 rig with ASI2600MC and IDAS NBZ dual-band filter (Ha+Oiii). 114 x 5 min, so 9.5 hours. Processed in PI and PS with the TX tools.

Cheers, Göran

20240201 Sh2-284 RASA1+2 PS15smallSign.jpg

Screenshot 2024-02-03 at 14.28.09.png

• Like 17

35 minutes ago, gorann said:

They are also surprisingly rarely imaged.

SH2-284 seems pretty popular - about 140 images on AB alone

Several have popped up on SGL of late too - including my own modest (integration time) offering:

Adrian

1 hour ago, Clarkey said:

I think RASA's should be banned.........

........unless I have one😄

Very nice👍. RASA's are starting to show how little of the sky is either red or dusty.

Thanks a lot Clarkey! Yes, we obviously have a very untidy universe!

Edited by gorann
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Adreneline said:

SH2-284 seems pretty popular - about 140 images on AB alone

Several have popped up on SGL of late too - including my own modest (integration time) offering:

Adrian

Sh2-284 is certainly relatively popular compared to 282 and 283, but for being such a spectacular nebula I think it is generally overlooked. Of those 140 images most are wide-field images that happen to include a fuzzy deptiction of it. But it may be on its way to get the attention is deserves.

Another gem Göran. 🤗 Nice little bubble in Sh2-282 too.

Have you tried plain RGB imaging of these Ha areas with the RASA. It's surprising how much shows up. I've almost finished my mosaic of the Christmas Tree Cluster area in RGB which has plenty of Ha detail. You should need shorter total exposures too. 😉

Alan

4 hours ago, symmetal said:

Another gem Göran. 🤗 Nice little bubble in Sh2-282 too.

Have you tried plain RGB imaging of these Ha areas with the RASA. It's surprising how much shows up. I've almost finished my mosaic of the Christmas Tree Cluster area in RGB which has plenty of Ha detail. You should need shorter total exposures too. 😉

Alan

Thanks Alan! Yes, RGB is a good idea, but with all the reflecting snow on the ground here I only get SQM at best around 20.5 so then NBZ filters give the best results. So I wait with RGB until the snow cover is gone and I am back at a Bortle 2 sky.

Edited by gorann

1 hour ago, gorann said:

Thanks Alan! Yes, RGB is a good idea, but with all the reflecting snow on the ground here I only get SQM at best around 20.5 so then NBZ filters give the best results. So I wait with RGB until the snow cover is gone and I am back at a Bortle 2 sky.

Ah! that makes sense. 🙂

Alan

• Like 1