Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Live Aurora Cam - Northumberland

Spaced Out

3 hours ago, Spaced Out said:

The motion detection software was triggered again this evening, I presume this is a meteor blazing behind the clouds 🤔.

I think you may have got a cloud to cloud lightning discharge.   Some big storm clouds racing across the North East tonight.

Another application of the cam.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Craney said:

I think you may have got a cloud to cloud lightning discharge.   Some big storm clouds racing across the North East tonight.

Another application of the cam.

Really ? Wow ! Thanks. 🙂

I've got all the components for a RasPi based allsky camera that I'll be siting in rural Cumbria, eventually.

Unfortunately it's delayed due to a family upset and I've not yet been able to collect the RasPi (currently working as an IP camera server up there) to get the project moving.

Your project motivates me to make a quick, sameday dash to get the Pi home, 150 mile round trip, without an evening at the village hostelry to make it worthwhile!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/02/2024 at 22:40, Paul M said:

I've got all the components for a RasPi based allsky camera that I'll be siting in rural Cumbria, eventually.

Unfortunately it's delayed due to a family upset and I've not yet been able to collect the RasPi (currently working as an IP camera server up there) to get the project moving.

Your project motivates me to make a quick, sameday dash to get the Pi home, 150 mile round trip, without an evening at the village hostelry to make it worthwhile!!

Sounds good. How did you get on with it ? Love a project !

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Spaced Out said:

The motion detection software got this a couple of nights ago.

Nice! It's making me wonder about setting up a sky camera outside.

• Like 1

On 14/02/2024 at 14:17, PeterC65 said:

Nice! It's making me wonder about setting up a sky camera outside.

Go for it ! My live stream video and all-sky stills cam were both easy to do and not that expensive. For example, I set up the live stream with an IP security camera that cost £79, I wanted to see how well it worked, if it's ok then I may invest in a better camera later on (I'd love a live stream with a Sony mirrorless camera but they cost £££ !). Low light technology in security cameras seems to be improving every year tho and when a new cam comes out the previous ones drop in price, there's a couple of cheapy IP security cameras around now that claim to be 'star cameras'.

• Like 1