Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Auto Focuser - any users here ?

Ive just bought one of these to try help eliminate focus wobble.

Does anyone have any experience with using them. How are they on a day to day night to night basis ? 

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-auto-focuser.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAk9itBhASEiwA1my_62KBAW1ERCJdpEJG-yNsXV15LCqF3S9T9-4LkgNPPHnAGmlSdrejqRoCGVEQAvD_BwE

They are a bit agricultral but they function OK, I have them fitted to a SW reflector, a SW ED80 for solar viewing and a 140mm refractor. I do not fit them as per the instructions, but via different home made brackets, and use a small cam belt to run from the pulley on the focuser onto the fine focus knob on the scope. BIt Heath Robinson, but then again I can just slip the belt off and revert to normal focusing if I switch netween EP's or camera. The battery compartment is too small and getting the cover to close over the battery is a faff. Overall it is a good low cost way to eliminate focus wobble - I guess they may not last as long a a premium unit - but they have been in use for 4 yrs or so with no problem. 

• Like 1

Over the years I have fitted 3 to different scopes and they work ok using the direct drive or toothed belts. The internal gearing means that you cannot rotate the output shaft manually.

On one installation I took the pcb out of the handset and used one of the two channel remote control relay boards you can find on Ebay and made it into a remote control focuser. 

• Like 1

I use one on my Skymax, but have fitted it via a belt. This allows me to pull the belt down and manual focus if changing camera/adding barlows.

Plus I upgraded it to radio control and therefor take away another cable that can get caught up.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-focusers/4tronix-focusrf-remote-control-for-dc-focus-motors.html

• Like 1

I got one about a month ago and after a few fitment issues (I wasn't happy with alignment of the supplied bracket so I made my own) it works perfectly. Also got the 4 tronix remote with the USB PC interface so I can control it from my laptop. I'm powering mine from a 12v motorbike battery which has plenty of "ooomph", something I thought was missing with a PP3 battery

focuser.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, djh said:

I use one on my Skymax, but have fitted it via a belt. This allows me to pull the belt down and manual focus if changing camera/adding barlows.

Plus I upgraded it to radio control and therefor take away another cable that can get caught up.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-focusers/4tronix-focusrf-remote-control-for-dc-focus-motors.html

Lol. More expense. Just bought one of those ! Thank you

2 hours ago, GasGiant said:

Lol. More expense. Just bought one of those ! Thank you

Get a 12v supply too :) 

(I cheated - I found the 12v plug was the same as a set of dead push bike lights I had and I just pinched some crocodile clips from a battery charger..)

Edited by Mr_Cat

15 hours ago, GasGiant said:

How are they on a day to day night to night basis ? 

Personally I really like mine - I was always going forwards / wait for shake to stop /  backwards / wait for shake to stop etc - now I just press the remote button, and watch the change happen.
Very very precise with a bahtinov mask.

The st120 I bought 2 weeks ago came with one.  Once I realised it was fitted badly and refitted it I've had no trouble,  but as others say it lacks oomph, tnt battery cover won't fit easily and in mine one terminal of the connector has pulled out and is stuck in the battery.... its just a really cheap terminal thingy.   I've bought a new terminal to wire in.... looks better,  was cheap.... Will probably make battery fit even worse!

11 minutes ago, LondonNeil said:

The st120 I bought 2 weeks ago came with one.  Once I realised it was fitted badly and refitted it I've had no trouble,  but as others say it lacks oomph, tnt battery cover won't fit easily and in mine one terminal of the connector has pulled out and is stuck in the battery.... its just a really cheap terminal thingy.   I've bought a new terminal to wire in.... looks better,  was cheap.... Will probably make battery fit even worse!

obviously it wouldn't fit inside the case but a bit more amperage for a few quid..

https://www.amazon.com/Corpco-Battery-Holder-Standard-Connector/dp/B07SRDPZ9Z/ref=sr_1_3?crid=26TL3TBAMRIF4&keywords=6+aa+battery+holder+9v&qid=1706564943&sprefix=6+aa+battery+holder+%2Caps%2C216&sr=8-3

13 minutes ago, LondonNeil said:

It's the 4tronix module that is 9-14v, not sure what the original handset would do with extra voltage - but if you blow the Bottom out of your 9v controller I'll send you mine !

28 minutes ago, LondonNeil said:

Ahhh@  maybe not then! 😂

When I bought the kit it came with both controllers. I'll put 12 v on the PP3 connector tomorrow and see what happens..

Should be fun, I've not fried something in a while..

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, LondonNeil said:

Ahhh@  maybe not then! 😂

It will be fine - I've just tried the pp3 hand controller with a 12v battery and it powered the motor in / out quite happily except for the speed control not working - it was the same speed regardless of that setting.  Opened the case and there isn't much too the circuit - I guess the voltage reduction on the pot is fine with a 9v source but does not drop enough to slow the motor with the 12v source.

focus_controller.jpg

• Thanks 1

Ahhh!  Yes there's not much to go wrong.  Super.  I've just ordered a gtix mount which I'll likely power with 8 AA but carry a spare pack ready to plug in.  If I made a short flying lead and strap the spare pack could be the focuser power....  just trying to decide on AAs vs 18650s, I've plenty of both knocking about

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, LondonNeil said:

BTW, did it have a bit more oomph at 12v or was it still slow and wheezy?

Yes, it was fine with the 12v - it seemed similar power / speed as using the 4tronix module   - for a laugh I gave this (see photo)  a try too.. an extra PP3 in parallel so it's the same voltage but double the possible current - bit more oomph than one 9v but not as good as the 12v (obvs..)

focuser_more_battery.jpg

Edited by Mr_Cat
forgot some important words.... sense no made without
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

I can also vouch for the 4tronix remote version. Got them on all my day scopes. I've also got the SkyWatcher electronic focuser on my night scope but usb controlled via pc. 

PSX_20231125_140817.jpg

That belt drive is nice - might do that on my 8"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr_Cat said:

Yes, it was fine with the 12v - it seemed similar power / speed as using the 4tronix module   - for a laugh I gave this (see photo)  a try too.. an extra PP3 in parallel so it's the same voltage but double the possible current - bit more oomph than one 9v but not as good as the 12v (obvs..)

focuser_more_battery.jpg

Very useful to know.   So 9.6V from 8 x NiMH AA probably won't be as effective is 11.1V from 3 X 18650. Right,  18650 seems the way to power the gtix and the remote focuser then I think. TBH, I've so many AAs knocking about so that the kids toys are always working I'll probably benefit from knocking up both battery holders/packs.

39 minutes ago, LondonNeil said:

Very useful to know.   So 9.6V from 8 x NiMH AA probably won't be as effective is 11.1V from 3 X 18650. Right,  18650 seems the way to power the gtix and the remote focuser then I think. TBH, I've so many AAs knocking about so that the kids toys are always working I'll probably benefit from knocking up both battery holders/packs.

Rather than using my tea break to do more traditional things (like make tea...) 

So - with the 12v battery hooked up to the 4tronix module it draws 70ma and the motor sounds crisp  - the power is 0.868 watts

focuser_12v_70ma.jpg.59acd19a3f9227bd35a2db98850139d9.jpg
With a pp3 battery hooked up to the hand controller it only draws 37ma and the motor sounds laboured - the power is 0.333 watts

focuser_9v_37_ma.jpg.e8f95a182736e595a365ccf51062d2b1.jpg

So it's a combination of voltage and amperage - more of both is good !

• Thanks 1