Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Distant galaxies

alan4908

An LRGB image of distant galaxies centered on NGC194.  It represents an integration time about 16 hours and was taken by my Esprit 150.  Pixinsight has identified some in the annotated version below.  Perhaps you can see more ?

Alan

26_crop.thumb.jpg.f731e6611da3753eb1ddc1388eaa33b1.jpg

26_crop_Annotated.thumb.jpg.0f988d2903f31f80e92557ef1644e180.jpg

IMAGE DETAILS: L:37, R:19, G:20, B:17 x 600s all at -20C. 

• Like 15

A great FOV with lots of different classes on show. I can see several tiny galaxies not picked up by the PI annotation, which is nearly always the case on deep images like this.

11 hours ago, alan4908 said:

Perhaps you can see more ?

I can't, but I plate solved in ASTAP and had a poke round with the Simbad annotation tool. Not exhaustively but enough to find a few pixels of a Quasar.

Quasars trump normal galaxies, any day... 😉

image.thumb.png.abb6d1facfa34596e8271983c00e1d6e.png

On 26/01/2024 at 11:47, tomato said:

A great FOV with lots of different classes on show. I can see several tiny galaxies not picked up by the PI annotation, which is nearly always the case on deep images like this.

Thanks for the comment - I agree the field of view is good although I had to reduce the dominance of  the bright blue star near the center of the image somewhat to make it less distracting.

On 26/01/2024 at 12:09, geeklee said:

That looks great Alan - NGC 200 and NGC 198 especially stand out with their detail and colour.

Thanks - yes, very happy with those two !

13 hours ago, wimvb said:

Very nice indeed. Those galaxies that PI annotation script didn't pick up, don't show up in Simbad either.

Btw, there is a PI script called TypeCat, by Hartmut Bornemann that can download Vizier/Simbad catalogues.

https://www.skypixels.at/pixinsight_scripts.html

Thanks - I'll investigate - I already have some of Hartum Bornemann's scripts.

12 hours ago, Paul M said:

I can't, but I plate solved in ASTAP and had a poke round with the Simbad annotation tool. Not exhaustively but enough to find a few pixels of a Quasar.

Quasars trump normal galaxies, any day... 😉

I did try to see what it looked like if I annotated the image and included Pixinsight quaser locations but I thought it was a bit overwhelming (see below).

It would be good to have a PI script that allowed you to only display objects above a particular apparent magnitude, so you don't up with an annotation of dark space ! 

26_crop_Annotated_quasers.thumb.jpg.91116f7c3241e81a3565f62aaeb5a844.jpg

• Like 2

Amazing detail on those faint fuzzies.  Great job!  

I second the wish on PI Annotate to only display objects above a certain magnitude.  No one wants those dead pixels annotated or the entire image filled in with every single stars designation. 

2 hours ago, alan4908 said:

I did try to see what it looked like if I annotated the image and included Pixinsight quaser locations but I thought it was a bit overwhelming (see below)

Ah, ASTAP to the rescue. You can select the whole image as a search for Simbad and filter for object type. Here are the Quasars found. You seem to have a few pixels for most of them!

QSO.jpg.6deb9f996c8ceb9301e66ca576d41025.jpg

8 hours ago, Paul M said:

You can select the whole image as a search for Simbad and filter for object type.

That's what the TypeCat script in pixinsight does.

11 hours ago, alan4908 said:

It would be good to have a PI script that allowed you to only display objects above a particular apparent magnitude,

The annotation script can do this, supposedly, if magnitude is supplied in the catalogue. Although, I've never got it to work reliably.

19 hours ago, Seti Astro said:

mazing detail on those faint fuzzies.  Great job!  

I second the wish on PI Annotate to only display objects above a certain magnitude.  No one wants those dead pixels annotated or the entire image filled in with every single stars designation. 

Thanks for the comment :happy11:

17 hours ago, Paul M said:

Ah, ASTAP to the rescue. You can select the whole image as a search for Simbad and filter for object type. Here are the Quasars found. You seem to have a few pixels for most of them!

Thanks I didn't know that.  I'm pleased to see that a few photons have made there way across several billion light years into my image. 

8 hours ago, wimvb said:

That's what the TypeCat script in pixinsight does.

Thanks I shall explore.....

8 hours ago, wimvb said:

The annotation script can do this, supposedly, if magnitude is supplied in the catalogue. Although, I've never got it to work reliably.

Thanks. I'll also investigate this.

Alan

• Like 1