Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi,

I'm considering a az gti for my st120.  What I want to know is are they reliable? and what is a fair price to try and seek a used one for? Or would you just buy new?  I'd want the mount and tripod. 

Thanks.

AZ gti weight limit for equipment is 5kg, and the ST120 OTA is just over 4kg, so add in weight of any other equipment been used on the scope (diagonal, eyepiece, finderscope etc) that could push it either very close to the 5kg limit or over.

I know. 4.1 kg i believe. I upgraded to a 2" diagonal and eyepieces so yes very close to 5kg I imagine.   From what I've read ( albeit limited) the gti functions well all they way to is limit and past,  up to 6 or so kg.

• Like 1

I’ll leave it to others who have the mount if it can indeed cope with the load close to or above 5kg OK. I have a couple of goto mounts that claim they can hold 5kg/5.4kg respectively, but performance wise they work much better with smaller/lighter scopes fitted. Larger  heavier ‘fracs tend to be less stable on mounts also, which will also effect performance.

Edited by Knighty2112
  • Like 1

Ta.  I'd be pleased to get more user views to confirm one way or another.

I checked, my heavier ep is a Hyperion at 420g, the bresser diagonal weight not sure but 'packaged weight' is 600g, so yes... it'll be on the limit,  several hundred grams over if using the Barlow.

Worth searching the site. Eg I found this which might be helpful. One other point that is mentioned in the link… I’d seriously considered a decent tripod (like the skywatcher steel tripod) when near the limit of the mount.

• Like 1

I have this mount and it’s a good mount no doubt about it and it’s goto features are great- it’s capable of 5kg max I would advise you look at changing the tripod for a steel tripod for stability and consider a slightly lighter OTA perhaps the 102 as you will be potentially pushing it’s capability once you add finder, EPS etc 

Edited by Beardy30
  • Like 1

Found the thread I'd read which gave good evidence it works well beyond 5kg, it's here on CN

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/901610-alt-az-tracking-mount-az-gti-vs-az-gtix/

Several using it up at that weight,  one having modded it to a dual scope set up snr using it loaded to 5.7kg (12.4lbs).  They do mention the supplied tripod is less capable though so if I need a better 3 legged friend £450 for the gtiX and steel tripod might be the better way for me to proceed.  Jeewhizz, more 💰

Looks like I'm saving for a few months!

No I meant £450 is the price of the gtix mount  AND steel tripod,  that one I think (if it is the same then mount plus tripod package 30 quid less than mount and tripod bought individually https://www.firstlightoptics.com/alt-azimuth-astronomy-mounts/sw_az-gtix_mnt_tp.html?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA5L2tBhBTEiwAdSxJXzzSJNaxPjHAFCEActKUBkMmzxIC8ZItcDAZDq26lgpdaM1tRn72rxoC9R4QAvD_BwE ) 

Check the azgtis owners thread (it is a very long topic as we've used it for lots of things). How long is the scope you're looking to mount?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LondonNeil said:

No I meant £450 is the price of the gtix mount  AND steel tripod,  that one I think (if it is the same then mount plus tripod package 30 quid less than mount and tripod bought individually https://www.firstlightoptics.com/alt-azimuth-astronomy-mounts/sw_az-gtix_mnt_tp.html?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA5L2tBhBTEiwAdSxJXzzSJNaxPjHAFCEActKUBkMmzxIC8ZItcDAZDq26lgpdaM1tRn72rxoC9R4QAvD_BwE ) 

Apologies- yea this looks very good! 

I'm assuming they're all the same type of scope (short tube one and not the Skywatcher Startravel 120 type which is much longer). The short one should be fine as long as the tripod is sturdy. I've mounted 6.5Kg on my azgti but knowingly that is overloaded and any mechanical damage is at my own risk, and I use that setup for AP and it images fine, so for a similar sized scope at a lighter weight would be fine. A longer scope however may struggle, I've tried my Starfield 102 and wouldn't use that reliably with it, due to the length it introduces more of a torque effect which you'll hear in the drive so the tripod has to be doubly sturdy too due to the wider centre of gravity load (ie it'll wobble more), hence my query as to which scope.

• Like 1

Yes Elp, it's the short tube.

(BTW, does 'st' in st120 mean short tube or star travel?  )

Cheers Elp.  Hmm yes it seems I should be OK to use it with my st120, but I might be better to save the extra £80 or so and get the gtix, for longevity,  or perceived longevity and worry free viewing. 

Only trouble then.... knowing me ill start hunting something at <3.5kg to hang on tnt other side.....a small and cheap newt or a st80 bargain perhaps!

1 hour ago, LondonNeil said:

Jeewhizz, more 💰

Looks like I'm saving for a few months!

Welcome to the lovely hobby/addiction of astronomy. Sure to empty your bank account on a regular basis!! 😉😉😉😉

Edited by Knighty2112
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have a AZ-GTi and a short tube 120 scope (Helios brand but it's almost identical) the GTi itself seems to cope with the weight ok, but the standard tripod is not up to the task as that's all I have, shaky would be the word with all that weight loaded on one side. It may be better with the stainless steel tripod, but I've not tried that yet.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, doublevodka said:

I have a AZ-GTi and a short tube 120 scope (Helios brand but it's almost identical) the GTi itself seems to cope with the weight ok, but the standard tripod is not up to the task as that's all I have, shaky would be the word with all that weight loaded on one side. It may be better with the stainless steel tripod, but I've not tried that yet.

Is the standard one the one with black coloured (I guess alloy) legs?

Just to say I've just checked with FLO (Ian was very helpful), the tripod included in the package I linked above IS NOT the same as the tripod Beardy links to.  It is stainless steel legged but they are thinner.   I won't take a chance,  I'll pay the extra!

• Like 1

I use the az Gti with an Altair ascent 102ed which is the same weight as the Startravel 120. It copes perfectly well plus 2 inch diagonal and accessories but I have the heavier duty steel tripod linked to above and as long as the scope is balanced. 

• Like 1