Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Loosening slow motion cable?

Hi,

Is it normal for a Slow motion cable to loosen after using?πŸ€” Our Telescope's Slow motion cables are loosening after using for a little time. Then it is needed to be tightened again.Β 

Is it really normal?

Thank you for replies in advance.

Nikolai.

Edited by Nikolai De Silva

If you mean the locking screws working loose then it’s a common problem.Β 

I solved it by putting a small section of plastic tubing over the tread of the thumb screws. Just long enough so that when you tighten the screw it compresses the tube a little. That extra friction prevents the thumb screw moving and working loose.Β 
Β 

IMG_0624.jpeg.537e06c8bdd7ee9d59bbfe7156167500.jpeg

• Like 12

53 minutes ago, PeterStudz said:

I solved it by putting a small section of plastic tubing over the tread of the thumb screws. Just long enough so that when you tighten the screw it compresses the tube a little. That extra friction prevents the thumb screw moving and working loose.Β 
Β 

What a cunning idea! πŸ‘πŸ‘

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, PeterStudz said:

Β 

Ingenious πŸ‘πŸ»

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PeterStudz said:

Β 

Β 

What an ingenious way to solve this problem. I can remember when first starting out both my slo mo cables dropping off more than lemmings.

• Haha 1

The tube I used was meant for model aircraft - fuel supply to a glow-plug engines - from the days when I made model planes. It’s flexible but quite stiff. If you put the slow-motion cable back on, tighten the thumb screw, and move it back and forth you should see if it works.Β 

In fact the idea came via someone else and was used to help prevent fixings vibrating loose from running model engines.Β 

2 hours ago, PeterStudz said:

The tube I used was meant for model aircraft - fuel supply to a glow-plug engines - from the days when I made model planes.

WOW!πŸ˜€ I love model vehicles! Do you have any pics of those planes? Really love to see!!!πŸ™‚

• Thanks 1

On 23/01/2024 at 15:03, Nikolai De Silva said:

WOW!πŸ˜€ I love model vehicles! Do you have any pics of those planes? Really love to see!!!πŸ™‚

Somewhere. And a still have a few down my shed. Will see what I can do!

• Like 1