Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter 17/01/2024

Mr Spock

My first drawing of Jupiter. It was a very cold night, -5° for most of it. Not an easy task to draw in those conditions especially as I need to wear reading glasses.

IMG_0988Jupiter20240117.jpg.035ab5c9cdc364012c82dacf3211d9a1.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...

Good grief Michael, how did I miss this one!?

That's a superb sketch of Jupiter even though you used a Newtonian. Sorry, I can't help myself! 🤐

The detail is beautifully rendered and both your observing skill and sketching skill is tops. You mentioned needing to wear reading glasses to sketch. Often I do too. May be consider half cut glasses. It helps to make you look more intelligent, or at least I think it does in my case. 

20240107_172134.thumb.jpg.7af6eb31acf157904bebda96a0e6d59d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mikeDnight said:

..... May be consider half cut glasses. It helps to make you look more intelligent, or at least I think it does in my case. 

20240107_172134.thumb.jpg.7af6eb31acf157904bebda96a0e6d59d.jpg

He discovered a white spot on Saturn as well ! 😁

Edited by John

17 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

He did! I believe he used a 6" refractor. I'm sure I have pic's of his scope's and observatories. What a great and funny guy!

I've read quite a lot about Will Hay and his scopes. My dad was a fan of his railway comedies and had a live steam model railway running around the garden with little dioramas of some of the famous scenes modelled (complete with miniature Moore Marriot and Graham Moffatt figures !). My interest comes from the astronomy angle of course. I expect you have seen this piece by Martin Mobberley and Kenneth Goward:

martinmobberley.co.uk/WillHay.html

Edited by John
  • Thanks 1

On 23/02/2024 at 16:49, mikeDnight said:

Good grief Michael, how did I miss this one!?

That's a superb sketch of Jupiter even though you used a Newtonian. Sorry, I can't help myself! 🤐

The detail is beautifully rendered and both your observing skill and sketching skill is tops.

Just imagine what you could see in a 12” Mike 😈

• Haha 1

I had a 8" Newtonian  & a 10" for a while thinking it would give me a great advantage, but rarely used it. Too bright for Venus, good on Mars had it been easy to use, but the 10" was on a horrible Dob mount. I might enjoy an old style 10 or 12 inch Newtonian with rotating rings and a strong Equatorial! It would need to look like one of those old Parks Newtonians to win me over. Observing through Dob's hurts my back! Why are rotating rings not compulsory!?

The 8" F6 barely revealed anything on the moon or planets that I couldn't already see through my FC100DC, so off it went. While the 10" mainly gathered dust.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

Why are rotating rings not compulsory!?

Agreed. I often find the rather odd 45° position of the Dob focuser inconvenient.

51 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

Too bright for Venus,

Variable polariser sorts that out :wink2:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...