Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sh2-224 : A Faint Supernova in Auriga

bdlbug

Sh2-224 is a very faint supernova remnant located approximately 14,700 light years distant in the constellation Auriga.

I planned this image this with great intentions back in October 2023 to go long and deep , original plan was 20hrs+ for each channel of Ha and Oiii, then the reality of UK winter weather set in and there was no imaging from around mid-November until mid-January 2024, nothing for 6-8weeks. I've decided to process what I have aquired as the moon is now becoming too bright for Oiii on this target - I've got close to my original plan and not convinced a few more hours would make a huge improvement - it needs 30-40hrs on Oiii and thats a big comitment here in UK to get quality Oiii data from our high humidity skies.... and watching subs roll in with no hint of any structure for hours and hours is not a huge amount of fun 🙄

I processed the Ha channel in December and the Oiii this evening and for nearly 16hrs of Oiii subs there was very little signal to work with, however perseverance and GHS has resulted in this image below, using foraxx HOO pallette,

There is an issue with rotation between Ha integration and Oiii integration as I had to dismantle my rig and dehumidify the lens cell and the reducer after all the rain in December -I had marked the orientation when I took everything to pieces, but clearly not quite accurately enough..... I could crop it out, top left, - but its a quirk of the aquisition process over 4 months and countless rain storms and cloud cover...

Dates:
    13 Oct 2023
    3 Nov 2023
    6 Nov 2023
    10 Nov 2023
    9 - 10 Jan 2024
    14 Jan 2024

Frames:
    Antlia 3nm Narrowband H-alpha 2": 226×300″(18h 50′)
    Antlia 3nm Narrowband Oxygen III 2": 189×300″(15h 45′)

Integration:    34h 35′

Imaging Telescopes   Astro-Tech AT106EDT
Imaging Cameras      ZWO ASI2600MM Pro
Mounts                      Sky-Watcher AZ-EQ6 GT

Filters
Antlia 3nm Narrowband H-alpha 2"
Antlia 3nm Narrowband Oxygen III 2"

Accessories    
APM-Riccardi Apo Reducer 0.75x M63

Integrated using AstroPixel Processor

Processed with Pixinsight and Russ Croman XT_Suite and stretched with GHS

Sh2-224_Foraxx_HOO_Stars_Combined_2.thumb.jpg.d71b96ce053a011bf02bee238a68f2f8.jpg

Edited by bdlbug
  • Like 22