Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Beastly images….

Well, they’re not great, but perhaps not so bad. These were taken today through The Beast, the 150mm PST Mod. Dirty eyepieces really show up with Ha observing I find. Conditions were not bad, though the seeing was average at best. These just give an idea of what can be seen, and the image scale; the reality is much better of course, more fine detail for starters. There was so much on show, probably twenty filaments of various sizes and some nice prominences. In particular on the right hand limb (as viewed through the scope) there was a huge filament near a lovely prominence, really nice to see in one field of view. Shown in the first image.

These were taken with an MSM mount attached to one of the 40mm plossls on the binoviewer. The eye relief is huge given the x2 Barlow so it was hard to mount the phone far enough away to take in the whole fov. I got close but not quite there.

266FFC69-99EC-412A-A6C1-000DC847DE50.jpeg

82A359AD-0E7C-45A6-A222-594AB3256588.jpeg

52501C00-0D78-40DC-A7D3-66FC9274B19B.jpeg

E281424D-37EC-4C6D-B56A-2E27BBFE5815.jpeg

AFDFDCEA-B7BC-454E-A91E-6D165ACDE30F.png

• Like 8

Another image from today.

I watched a very bright prom arcing off the Western limb earlier. It was moving in real time, with little blobs of plasma breaking off then disappearing. Amazing.

C5A39DBE-5501-4BE6-86CC-13E3FF75273E.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sunshine said:

Love the video! at first I thought I saw a filament moving at breakneck speed across the disc, it turned out to be your fallen eyelash.

Yes, that’s the one problem I find, any muck in the eyepieces seems to show up far more than usual so clean eyepieces are a must.

I’ve just received the power adaptor for my AZ100 so will be able to use tracking and panning on that now so the next video should be a little less jumpy! I need longer arms to reach the slow motion controls!

• Like 1

These are great and it makes me wish I had such a setup. 

love the video too. In my opinion there should be more smartphone “at the eyepiece” videos. Well, any type of smartphone astrophotography/astroanimations!

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, PeterStudz said:

These are great and it makes me wish I had such a setup. 

love the video too. In my opinion there should be more smartphone “at the eyepiece” videos. Well, any type of smartphone astrophotography/astroanimations!

Thanks Peter. Can’t wait for the sun to come out again, as I now have the tracking working on the AZ100 so should be able to manage a much smoother video next time.

• Like 1