Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Beginner Setup

Hello,

I fortuitously live in one of the darkest places in the world so I'm keen to establish a setup to capture images of the moon and Messier objects.

Whilst I do have experience of stargazing and capturing images (I have cool picture of the Orion Nebula that I took), I don't have any of my own gear. I'm therefore looking to purchase a suitable camera, telescope, EQ mount etc.

Any suggestions would therefore be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Welcome to the SGL. :D 

You mention "a setup to capture images of the moon and Messier objects.". You would be better to aim either for a setup for lunar/planetary imaging or one for Deep Sky Objects (DSO's) as these require different types of cameras & scopes.  

For Planetary imaging you're better using larger focal length scopes with small sensor un-cooled cameras taking video, where as DSO's are better taken with smaller, wider field, fast scopes and cooled cameras with larger sensors using long exposure times. It's not that you can't use one setup for both applications, it's just that there isn't really a perfect setup which suits both. ;) 

Personally, with your dark skies, I'd be going with a DSO setup to take advantage of the lack of light pollution. 

• Like 3

Thanks, I was thinking that I should to stick with a DSLR camera setup as that's what I've used previously.

I don't have a budget in mind. I guess it's pricey starting off and then each can be upgraded over time?

Cheers.

The best recommendation I tend to provide to beginners to AP at this present time for:

1. Ease of setup,

2. Ease of operation,

3. Small, light, portable,

4. Relatively cheap (500 odd),

5. What you can image with it, many DSO objects.

A ZWO Seestar, nothing, and I mean nothing will come close to what this can do based on the above.

As a very basic budget for a DSLR type setup, you're looking around 2000, if you can source most of the equipment used your milage will increase. Want the equipment more future proof (ie mount), the budget goes up maybe up to 3-4k.

The reason I asked about your image editing skills was because if you want "presentable" images, around 80-90pc of the work comes from this, the actual image acquisition isnt that difficult once you know how with the right equipment. The right equipment, also, usually requires different setups for different things as mentioned above, though capturing the moon is quite easy with a DSLR and a telephoto lens around 300mm. For everything else, CMOS astro cameras will be better though many people get results with astro modified dslr bodies.

If you've got an astro society nearby, best to attend and see what people are using and the results they're getting first. AP isn't cheap, it'll drain your finances very quickly as you'll constantly want the next "upgrade" which won't result in much gains for the added outlay.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

That is an option, but a SW SAGTI "only" costs 500-600, it'll easily take a DSLR and up to maybe an 80mm refractor and has goto, so a much better purchase than a star tracker.

The cheapest commercial star tracker Ive found is the Omegon LX, if you make a barn door tracker yourself it's even cheaper. But from experience, once you have a goto mount you'll wonder why you ever bothered with a star tracker, the goto mount can also be autoguided down the line for even better tracking accuracy.

19 hours ago, Elp said:

That is an option, but a SW SAGTI "only" costs 500-600, it'll easily take a DSLR and up to maybe an 80mm refractor and has goto, so a much better purchase than a star tracker.

The cheapest commercial star tracker Ive found is the Omegon LX, if you make a barn door tracker yourself it's even cheaper. But from experience, once you have a goto mount you'll wonder why you ever bothered with a star tracker, the goto mount can also be autoguided down the line for even better tracking accuracy.

I use my telescope as a star tracker for my DSLR by literally strapping it on top with a mechanism of my own devising. On the couple of occasions I have done it, this has worked pretty well. 

• Like 2

If you are certain that you will maintain an interest in this hobby, I'd budget 5k and go for a go to tracking mount, 70mm APO, Asi Air controller, and a dedicated OSC cooled camera. I wasted a lot of money starting off with trackers, dslr and accessories, and it was very frustrating trying to find targets and get good results

13 hours ago, Bugdozer said:

I use my telescope as a star tracker for my DSLR by literally strapping it on top with a mechanism of my own devising. On the couple of occasions I have done it, this has worked pretty well. 

Same here. I made a custom attachment for an old EQ1 mount that bolts in place of the rings. The hardest part was finding a small enough counterweight 😁

I also motorised the EQ1 mount with a stepper motor controlled by an Arduino and it tracks remarkably well. 30s subs are no problem. ( I really must get back to that, I've been distracted by the purchase of the TAL 😁 )

• 2 weeks later...

Your best overall bet would be, as stated above, the SeeStar. It is affordable and does quite well for its price point. If you find you are really into astro photography and will stick with it long term then you can think about spending quite a bit more. At its price the SeeStar can't be beat and does what setups 10 times more expensive can do. You can take the data (in FITS format) from the SeeStar and learn how to post process it to make it look better too.