Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eyepieces and filters help wanted

I heard that it would be a good idea to get a 32 mm plossl eyepiece. I went on-line an couldn't believe the price range o these eyepieces. Are all plossls the same? Does anyone have any recommendations? Has anyone heard of Antares Eps? I could get one for a bout $30.00 Canadian. Good deal? Also is it worth to spend money on a set of colour filters for about $50.00 for 4 filters. I am still learning and waiting for clear skies.

Hi Rob,

There is a large price range with eyepieces and generally you get what you pay for. The Antares stuff is good though, despite the comparitively low prices, so you would be safe with their 32mm Plossl although it would not be as well made as a Tele Vue of course.

I would not rush into buying coloured filters until you have a bit more experience in observing - their benefits are quite subtle at best.

John

Hi John, thanks for the advice. How about a moon filter? Would that make sense?

Rob

Possibly Rob although they make more sense with larger aperture scopes - with my 12" dobsonian the moon is too bright for comfort and a filter is needed. I don't feel the need for one though with my 102mm refractor.

John

Hi, dad!

From what I understand, quality is less important with larger aperture EP's, than with smaller. It's apparently easier to make a large (32mm) aperture work well than a 6mm, for example. So save your money, buy a fairly cheap 32, and save up for a higher quality small one for high mag.

I still have to send you that extra barlow I've got!

As far as moon filters go, I've found that if I plan on looking ONLY at the moon, then I don't bother, but if I want to check out other sights, I use the filter as otherwise the glare ruins my dark-vision.

-e

I use Antares eps. I find that they are equivalent to or slightly better than the average Plossl. I have moved on to their SWAs and W70s. which are also good performers. I deal with Island Eyepiece in BC.

I've got the Televue 32mm plossl which is awesome. I've heard good reports about the Meade 4000's though which are a bit cheaper.

I've heard GSO use the same facilities as the Meades so if your not too bothered about having a "name", might be worth looking into them as well.

Hope this helps!

Jarvo

I had a Celestron Omni 32mm Plossl and it worked fine, rather good I thought. It cost about £34.

Compared to the Sky-Watcher Panaview ( around £70 ) it lacked the big field and high contrast. I also like the Panaview because its a very comfy EP to use.

With that said the basic Celestron Omni was pretty good and a lot better than the 25mm supplied with the scope.

Archived