Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Rowan AZ75 for a Mewlon 210 and/or TSA120?

DJ N

Happy 2024 everyone…. (my first post for the year).

I currently am using a Rowan AZ100 for my Mewlon 210 and hopefully soon to come TSA120. The AZ100 is a cracking mount and I absolutely adore it, however, thinking of purchasing the AZ75 as a more portable travel mount. Hoping to hear from anyone that is using either (or both) of these instruments with the AZ75?

From a loading perspective, the specs of the AZ75 indicate it will carry 15kg. Fully loaded, the Mewlon 210 with binoviewer comes in just under 10kg. I anticipate the TSA120 will be similar if not a smidgeon less. My intention would be to use the AZ75 with my T-Pod 130, so the tripod will be more than stable enough. As a secondary note, I find using the AZ100, because it moves so well, I tend to use the handle for tracking lunar/planets at high power rather than the slo-mo controls, therefore, this should not be an issue on the AZ75 (given it does not have this extra feature).

Anyhow, keen to hear people’s experiences and thoughts.

Cheers

Daniel

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DJ N said:

Happy 2024 everyone…. (my first post for the year).

I currently am using a Rowan AZ100 for my Mewlon 210 and hopefully soon to come TSA120. The AZ100 is a cracking mount and I absolutely adore it, however, thinking of purchasing the AZ75 as a more portable travel mount. Hoping to hear from anyone that is using either (or both) of these instruments with the AZ75?

From a loading perspective, the specs of the AZ75 indicate it will carry 15kg. Fully loaded, the Mewlon 210 with binoviewer comes in just under 10kg. I anticipate the TSA120 will be similar if not a smidgeon less. My intention would be to use the AZ75 with my T-Pod 130, so the tripod will be more than stable enough. As a secondary note, I find using the AZ100, because it moves so well, I tend to use the handle for tracking lunar/planets at high power rather than the slo-mo controls, therefore, this should not be an issue on the AZ75 (given it does not have this extra feature).

Anyhow, keen to hear people’s experiences and thoughts.

Cheers

Daniel

I’m sure the AZ75 would handle either of these scopes with no problem. You have an excellent tripod and the mount is more than capable. I’ve used mine with an FS-128 and heavier LZOS 130 f6 and it was very useable.

You may want to consider a counterweight, not because the mount needs it, just for stability of the rig but it may not be necessary.

• Like 4

Hi Daniel,

I can definitely recommend the AZ75 as a light-weight and portable alternative to AZ100. I have both, and use them with a TSA-120 on a Berlebach UNI-28 tripod. There is no discernible difference between the mounts in terms of stability in my experience. My experience is also similar to yours concerning the slo-mo of the AZ100.

• Like 2

Hi Stu and Hans

Thanks so much for your insights! I would definitely consider the counterweight..... more so as 'extra' insurance. When I purchased the AZ100, at the time I ordered the counterweight set-up as well to future proof the system. 

Thanks again guys.

Cheers

D

• Like 3

Sure thing!

The 75 is a wonderful design, and light enough so it can be carried out with the tripod in one piece. If I had to let one of them go, I would probably hang on to the 75 since it gives practically nothing up to the 100, except the slo-mo controls and option for motors. The Vixen clamp can accept the counterweight shaft, so you don't really need the flange for this purpose.

IMG_0623.thumb.jpg.bb0cea94a23d5e8e1a707c8feb7e6259.jpg

• Like 6

@DJ N I remember being really surprised (in a good way) at just how compact the AZ75 looks and feels relative to the AZ100, yet still appears to have similar weight capacity. Like the AZ100 it remains smooth when fully loaded unlike some other AltAz mounts which need a counterweight.

There are a few videos on my YouTube channel which just confirm its capabilities which might be of interest.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I placed a C11 on a AZ75. So far so good, the scope can be panned quite smoothly.

917932D4-3973-4F8E-B881-759BB7A2FD81_1_105_c.jpeg.561d0777866c2bcfa3a619da92da64b4.jpeg

7BF705CF-408B-4E8C-B209-83E700BFC33D_1_105_c.jpeg.0e3a97ca1dfa67a06f0e99df0ffa4ade.jpeg

The Vixen carbon tripod dampens any vibration very quickly, however to give confidence of no toppling I attached a sand bag (not shown) and this made the whole structure very sure footed. 

Would it be ok in high winds, maybe with a heavier sand bag.  😀

I'll try out first and then see want else needs to be added. 

Note I use a BB chair, I can then raise and lower my seating position as needed. Another half pillar could be added as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Alan White said:

And to think the noise made to me and @Stu over no slow motions etc.

The AZ75 is super smooth, not tried chasing a planet yet but it's almost as if the slo mo is in the pan handle as the scope glides around on the mount.

That includes the C11...

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Alan White said:

This is great to see the AZ75 being so well used with such a variety of scopes.

And to think the noise made to me and @Stu over no slow motions etc.

I still love my AZ75 and it’s the mount of choice for me.

Please no. My counselling has recently finished and the twitch has gone, so I would rather not reopen this topic 🤪

• Haha 5