NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help with alignment

Hi 

tried my azi GTI for the first time tonight with the startravel 102 

light pollution killed it with the neighbours kitchen and security lights which didn’t seem to go off at any point so a different location next time is needed! 

Also even though I could locate stars to try an alignment the mount slewed to a different direction to the stellarium app on my phone so it was very confusing-

I started off with the scope level and pointing north and try a one star alignment so pretty simple but it didn’t seem to be in line with where the star was at all 

(for example Polaris on the app which was clearly Polaris wasn’t where my scope went) any suggestions ? 

third issue I had was that my zwo 224 didn’t pick up any images on the laptop screen using sharpcap even though it was fine when I did a day  time test any idea why? Any help would be appreciated 

I assume your azgti is factory with no updates firmware? If so, if facing north, the scope needs to be mounted on the LHS with the front end pointing north.

Alignment generally is better after 2 star alignment (mathematically to find a point in 3d space you really need to know of 3 points), so 3 would be better but most users get good alignment after 1 or 2 stars.

The 224 worked in daytime but not night, did you change the exposure time as nighttime requires much longer exposure time (seconds) compare to microseconds during the day. Planets as they're bright usually can be imaged in milliseconds scale.

Hi the scope was north facing and front end was north so yes - and I don’t have any updates it is as new 

alignment was well off on 2 star also 

good point on the camera - I will try that but I would of expected at least something but the screen was completely black - could this be due to light pollution? 

Have you got the scope on the left side of the mount while pointing north? Set the exposure to 2 seconds and increase the gain. Then rack the focuser in and out until you see stars. If you are not using a diagonal then you will most likely need an extension piece to reach focus with the camera. 

No that's a nosepiece. You will need an additional extension to reach focus with a refractor. They are designed for use with a diagonal so when you remove this you will need to replace this with an extension to make up the distance. Try a 2x barlow to move the focal point outward.

Oh right. I thought it would just replace the diagonal and the camera wouldn’t need to be in the diagonal 

so I need an extension and to fit the extension into the diagonal like any eye piece 

4 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Are you screwing the camera on or sliding it into a 

1 minute ago, bosun21 said:

You want a 1.25" extension that slips into where the diagonal went and the camera nosepiece slips into the other end of the extension.

Right well that explains it 🙈 I’ll get one and have another go cheers 

Yes. Either that one or if needed the other one that FLO sells (65mm which you can remove the nosepiece from the camera and screw it directly onto the extension. You need to measure how much extension is needed for the scope. Fit an eyepiece and see how far out you need to move it to reach focus in the daytime.

Edited by bosun21

I like using 1 star alignment for several reasons

1- in my limited viewing angles I can choose which star I think should be visible

2- the mount will slew to where it thinks the star selected is

3- I can repeat the one star alignment as many times as I like using different stars to increase the mount's alignment accuracy

3 minutes ago, Beardy30 said:

Need to figure out how to align this mount first 🙈 it was way off 

Key things level mount and telescope is horizontal and the open/glass end faces north and telescope is mounted on the left side of your az-gti

• Like 2

Hi I also have the bresser 127/1200 refractor with the 224 mc camera , to get focus I have to use all the extensions that came with the telescope and a 35mm extension 20210328_100928.thumb.jpg.b9022ddb0895fa3ddb87b0d6d2818289.jpg20210328_100900.thumb.jpg.593a6cc9364dcbe409b7da4190edca07.jpgthen camera don't use a diagonal , use eyepiece first in the back of extension focus this then change to the camera  now wind focuser in towards the scope and it will focus

Edited by Neil H
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Key things level mount and telescope is horizontal and the open/glass end faces north and telescope is mounted on the left side of your az-gti

Yea all done but seem not to work 

20 minutes ago, Neil H said:

Hi I also have the bresser 127/1200 refractor with the 224 mc camera , to get focus I have to use all the extensions that came with the telescope then camera don't use a diagonal , use eyepiece first in the back of extension focus this then change to the camera  now wind focuser in towards the scope and it will focus

I didn’t get any extensions with my Bresser 127 - or my startravel 102 I will need to buy them and give it a go 

27 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

I like using 1 star alignment for several reasons

1- in my limited viewing angles I can choose which star I think should be visible

2- the mount will slew to where it thinks the star selected is

3- I can repeat the one star alignment as many times as I like using different stars to increase the mount's alignment accuracy

That’s what I tired but it was way off target