NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Stupid FOV/eyepiece preference question…..

Neutrinosoup

9 minutes ago, John said:

I've never noticed the "coffee tone" on those eyepieces either. Some eyepieces do have a slightly different tone to the views but I haven't found those variations annoying or distracting. 

I guess that is because the eyepiece creates the connection between the human system and the optical system and that intimacy makes us very sensitive to their characteristics and how they match (or don't match) ours 🤔 

That’s my take on it John.

We like what we like, but all prone to peer pressure and group think when buying gear and sometimes buy the gear we are ‘supposed’ to like.
It’s funny really since none of us really know how anyone really sees or perceives anything, we only see the images our brains 🧠 and eyes 👀 present for us. 

• Like 1

The only Panoptic I have is the 27mm, and I've never noticed any SAEP with it.  I just can't stand its tight eye relief while wearing eyeglasses.

The 12mm and 17mm Nagler T4s are loaded with SAEP.  It's so bad, I can't hold the entire FOV once the field stop becomes visible as I move closer to the eye lens.

I tried the original Radians side-by-side with the Pentax XLs in the daytime at a shop back in the late 90s.  I couldn't hold the FOV in the Radians at all, but had no problems with the XLs, so I ended up going with the XLs.  I didn't notice any "coffee" tone in the Radian.

My lone Vixen, a 9mm LV, views darker than my other 9mm eyepieces.  I can't say that it doesn't go as deep as a result, but it sure seems dim by comparison.  I wonder if it is due to the Lanthanum element introducing a coffee tone that suppresses blue hues to some extent?  I don't see a coffee tone in the daytime with it, though.  Perhaps I should try a fixed color balance photo through it to find out.

Delos and DeLite are parfocal, complementary in design and 20mm eye relief. The incremental focal length range of DeLite at mid to high power interacts with Delos. Whilst proportionally differing, between the two models; total field of view does not feel particularly compromised and I enjoy seeing the field stop.

Currently my Delos / DeLite line-up comprises; 18.2mm DeLite, 10mm Delos, 7mm DeLite, 6mm Delos, 5mm DeLite, 4mm DeLite, 3,5mm Delos. Largely used for backyard observing, therefore excellent for planetary, lunar, brighter DSO's, binaries, do not have a specific favourite though the 10mm Delos receives perhaps the most use. Definitely no softness or coffee tone, just outstanding, comfortably aligned views. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, scarp15 said:

Delos and DeLite are parfocal.....

Apart from the 17.3mm and 14mm Delos. Those need around 10mm inwards focuser travel to reach focus.

• Like 1