Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tell me about your AM3 / AM5?

Ags

On 02/01/2024 at 21:52, adyj1 said:

there's nothing special about a talentcell charger

The charger you suggested works perfectly!

I am selling a few bits to fund this project.

Currently trying to decide if the ASI220MM is worth €120 more than an ASI120MM. I imagine twice the sensor area makes a difference in getting a guide star...

Maybe, if you're using an OAG. Not really in a guidescope. You can always increase the aperture of the guidescope to help resolve stars better (I've seen marked improvement from 30mm to 50mm GS), and most of the time I'm using a 224 colour camera, mono is better due to using all pixels for better sensitivity.

Edited by Elp

• 2 weeks later...

This was pointed out to me today:

image.png.15952535d89b1d38c04e3c9cac44ee8b.png

Power consumption is 0.8A, but power requirement is 5A, which is an unbelievable lotta Amps and more than the ASIAIR Mini can deliver. Is this really correct? It looks more like the power delivery of the power supply rather than the mount's requirements... There are other errors in the spec sheet like "Payload with CW 16.5 lbs (12kg)" so error is relatively likely.

Your power supply needs to be rated as such. I use my Talentcell battery sometimes to power the mini, then a 12v out from the mini to the mount, and the mini is also powering a cooled camera and the guide camera. My Celestron Lithium LT struggles to do the same thing, I get the same result with my Gem28 so I'm guessing ioptrons are quite sensitive to input power. The hem15 I believe has an ever so slightly less power requirement than the am3.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Ags said:

Power consumption is 0.8A, but power requirement is 5A, which is an unbelievable lotta Amps and more than the ASIAIR Mini can deliver

Don't forget that the HEM mounts have an internal 12v pass-through and a power outlet on the top of the mount. That's where the extra amps come in useful powering the rest of your rig... 

Just checked the docs and they rate the top socket for "4A when using the included AC adapter".

(thankfully the 12v socket on the saddle is 5.5/2.1mm barrel rather than the slightly awkward 5.5/2.5mm on the mount body) 

Edited by adyj1
RTFM
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, adyj1 said:

thankfully the 12v socket on the saddle is 5.5/2.1mm barrel rather than the slightly awkward 5.5/2.5mm on the mount body

This got me the first time. Had to order an adapter twice as the first was too loose, second worked perfectly for the mount 12v in.

Edited by Elp

• 3 weeks later...