Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

IS THIS TELESCOPE TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE???

wesdon1

On 13/12/2023 at 19:45, Sponcom said:

Nice and polite, anyone would think it was a cloudy nights forum.

Thanks Elp! I actually questioned my own thinking, thinking it was just me being over-sensitive to what I read! lol. But I do believe he meant no offence. Thanks mate!

Regards, Wes.

• Like 1

On 13/12/2023 at 19:46, vlaiv said:

I would not otherwise post this in dedicated threads regarding said scope, but I think I can post it here because of they way thread topic was phrased.

Is it too good to be true? Well - consider this:

You can't really purchase 80mm F/7.5 achromat for less than say 250 euro - but I managed to purchase said lens for 35 euro of AliExpress. I won't go into detail of how much other components cost - except to say that I'm confident that my  DIY scope based on this lens will be less than 100 euro.

Rest is just labor costs and profit margins.

If someone decides to cut down their profit margin from say 100% to 60% - what you get is a bargain scope :D

@vlaiv Thanks Vlaiv, that's a very insightful take on the threads question! From what I'm learning from people, it really is NOT too good to be true, so I'll be saving up for a few months and buying the 120 Triplet model! 

Regards, Wes.

On 13/12/2023 at 20:31, paulastro said:

I have had the 103 version since November 1st, and before buying it, like yourself wondered how on earth they could make it for the money.  A month and a a half later,  I ask myself the same thing every time I use it.  It's more amazing when you have actually used it and know how good it is.

To save  repeating it here, my review is on FLOs website.

Of course, it doesn't necessarily mean all its relatives are the same quality, but they certainly produced a cracker with the 103.  I would have thought it likely they are made to the same standard. If you want to pm me regarding any aspects of the scope, please feel free to do so.  I've no idea where you are located, but if you are anywhere near West Yorkshire you are welcome to come and check it out for yourself.

The finally factor in my decision was that I knew if I bought it from any of the suppliers who have a long proven record of a very favourable returns policy, then I wasn't risking anything by ordering it. In the event, its turned out to be a very wise purchase 🙂.

@paulastro Thanks for that very helpful response Paul! Also, I'm in Liverpool, UK so quite far away unfortunately, but thank you so much for such a kind offer Paul, I was pleasantly taken aback! Thanks!

After reading these responses, I'm definitely buying the 120 triplet model, because I've wanted a good triplet with plenty of aperture for a while now, and finding the ASKAR 120 means it's now affordable for my typically limited funds! I will of course write up and post images in the coming months and share my experiences so other members know exactly what I found!

Regards, Wes.

46 minutes ago, wesdon1 said:

@bosun21 LOL I sensed a bit of "you telling me off for wasting time writing a thread about something that's already been discussed" ?? Haha! Joking aside, it did kinda offend me, but I do understand what you were trying to tell me! So absolutely no hard feelings my friend!

Kind Regards, Wes.

No not at all Wes. I was simply trying to lead you to the thread that had already discussed the scopes. If you sensed this was impolite then I apologise. No hard feelings from myself in any way.

Regards, Ian.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, wesdon1 said:

@paulastro Thanks for that very helpful response Paul! Also, I'm in Liverpool, UK so quite far away unfortunately, but thank you so much for such a kind offer Paul, I was pleasantly taken aback! Thanks!

After reading these responses, I'm definitely buying the 120 triplet model, because I've wanted a good triplet with plenty of aperture for a while now, and finding the ASKAR 120 means it's now affordable for my typically limited funds! I will of course write up and post images in the coming months and share my experiences so other members know exactly what I found!

Regards, Wes.

Many thanks for your kind words Wes.

It will be good to hear how you get on with it, so do share this when you can.

If there's anything I can help with, you can send  a PM anytime.

Best regards, Paul

• Thanks 1

On 18/12/2023 at 07:07, bosun21 said:

No not at all Wes. I was simply trying to lead you to the thread that had already discussed the scopes. If you sensed this was impolite then I apologise. No hard feelings from myself in any way.

Regards, Ian.

@bosun21 Aww ok I apologise for misunderstanding you mate! Thank You my friend! 

*I know this is totally off subject, but if I may ask, are you a Bosun aboard a sailing ship by any chance? Reason I ask is many years ago, I went sailing aboard a now recommissioned ship called "The Sir Malcom Miller" We sailed for two weeks around the English Channel, Bristol Channel, Celtic Sea to name what I recall. We stopped off at various ports in the aforementioned areas. It was the residential section of my Gold Duke Of Edinburgh Award, and it was an amazing experience, albeit very hard work at times! At one point we were stuck in a force 9 gale! With 7-10 metre high waves to contend with! Incredible when we got a pack of Dolphins ( or maybe Porpoise's?? ) swimming ahead of the bow of our ship! We had just come through another awful storm and those Dolphins gave everyone aboard a massive  boost of energy and morale, it was incredible! They really are healing creatures in my personal experience!

I am asking you this simply because your name on here is Bosun21? 

I'll understand if you don't want to answer such an off topic random question! LOL.

Kind Regards, Wes.

On 18/12/2023 at 11:23, Elp said:

This is the one I'd go for too, I'd like to see how it compares to my Starfield 102.

@Elp I am already saving up for the 120 triplet mate. For my personal circumstances it is the best balance between weight, cost, size and with a bit of luck the quality will be good too! That being said, a fellow SGL member has the smaller 103 triplet and he says it's ace, so I should be good I think! 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, wesdon1 said:

@bosun21 Aww ok I apologise for misunderstanding you mate! Thank You my friend! 

*I know this is totally off subject, but if I may ask, are you a Bosun aboard a sailing ship by any chance? Reason I ask is many years ago, I went sailing aboard a now recommissioned ship called "The Sir Malcom Miller" We sailed for two weeks around the English Channel, Bristol Channel, Celtic Sea to name what I recall. We stopped off at various ports in the aforementioned areas. It was the residential section of my Gold Duke Of Edinburgh Award, and it was an amazing experience, albeit very hard work at times! At one point we were stuck in a force 9 gale! With 7-10 metre high waves to contend with! Incredible when we got a pack of Dolphins ( or maybe Porpoise's?? ) swimming ahead of the bow of our ship! We had just come through another awful storm and those Dolphins gave everyone aboard a massive  boost of energy and morale, it was incredible! They really are healing creatures in my personal experience!

I am asking you this simply because your name on here is Bosun21? 

I'll understand if you don't want to answer such an off topic random question! LOL.

Kind Regards, Wes.

Not at all. My father was a Bosun in the Royal Navy for many years and after he passed away I used the name bosun as my nom de plume for the internet.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Not at all. My father was a Bosun in the Royal Navy for many years and after he passed away I used the name bosun as my nom de plume for the internet.

@bosun21 Oohh ok I understand, and I'm sorry to hear of your fathers passing. Thanks and sorry for such a long message! 

Kind Regards, Wes.

1 minute ago, wesdon1 said:

@bosun21 Oohh ok I understand, and I'm sorry to hear of your fathers passing. Thanks and sorry for such a long message! 

Kind Regards, Wes.

Not at all Wes. He passed away many years ago but his memory still lives on in me, hence the name bosun. 

Regards

Ian 

• Thanks 1