Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Concern about load distribution on my system. (FMA180)

LaurenceT

I've been breaking my head for months about how to use my FMA180 on a mount using a guidescope/camera and my Asiair. The only method that "looks" remotely feasible is the one in my photos. The problem is of course the added weight to the camera. The total weight with both the guidescope/camera and the Asiair is 915g (32oz). If I decided not to guide and just use short exposures with the Asiair by itself the total weight is 622g (22oz). The Asi122mm mini camera is not in the photos as it's currently on my 50ED.

I haven't yet used this in anger so I can't say anything about tilt but I'm concerned about the strain on the whole imaging train.

Be grateful for any comments.

PXL_20231212_103014828-2.jpg

PXL_20231212_102940155-1.jpg

Edited by LaurenceT

• LaurenceT changed the title to Concern about load distribution on my system. (FMA180)

That guidescope is likely to cause issues with flexure when guiding. Don't do it. 

You are also quite high, with the FMA180 mounted up and the ASI and Guidescope even higher. This increases both the moment, the inertia and the counterweight. Rethink it. 

A quick google image search should throw up some ideas

3 hours ago, 900SL said:

That guidescope is likely to cause issues with flexure when guiding. Don't do it. 

You are also quite high, with the FMA180 mounted up and the ASI and Guidescope even higher. This increases both the moment, the inertia and the counterweight. Rethink it. 

A quick google image search should throw up some ideas

@Chris-h I'll certainly check that out.

@Elp I'm sure I've got a similar plate from my photography days, I'll have a search.

@900SLYou're quite right, the whole thing looks absurd, it would never fly! I'm abandoning the ZWO holder ring and I've found a way to mount the Asiair on top of the dovetail under the front of the scope. I'll have to be content with taking shorter unguided exposures which shouldn't be a problem with this widefield scope. If I was desperate to guide there is a way to mount a guidescope with this. I tried it the other day with this bar, it was OK, but clunky and a bit of a faff balancing it:

PXL_20231118_154354059-1.jpg

That's why the cross dovetail or losmandy method works, you can fix the equipment at the right places so you can get good declination balance. For my current dual rig I've fixed various mini vixen saddles at various positions so I can move them about depending on what lenses or cameras im using. Before I used to physically chop and change the hardware which was a hassle.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've found what I think is the best solution. It's a 3D printed design and it came all the way from Illinois! Found a young chap on Facebook who makes a number of items related to astro, he possesses a Samyang 135 and the US equivalent of the Askar FMA180 so he is able to get the precise dimensions and has made products for both scopes/lenses. He goes by the name of Chris and his company is called Thinkable Creations, to order you have to go onto Etsy of all places. There appear to be two areas, one devoted to astro and the other to random bits. It looks a bit unusual and it wasn't cheap but it now means I can mount the Askar together with a guidescope and Asiair in a normal fashion without risking everything revolving like a windmill eventually!

PXL_20231227_151956178-1.jpg

PXL_20231227_152031335-1.jpg

Do you know what filament was used for the 3D prints? Unless it was ABS, PETG or nylon I would not trust to load such costly equipment onto it, and certainly do not leave it anywhere near sunlight or heat sources.

Edited by Elp

On 12/12/2023 at 11:31, LaurenceT said:

I've been breaking my head for months about how to use my FMA180 on a mount using a guidescope/camera and my Asiair. The only method that "looks" remotely feasible is the one in my photos. The problem is of course the added weight to the camera. The total weight with both the guidescope/camera and the Asiair is 915g (32oz). If I decided not to guide and just use short exposures with the Asiair by itself the total weight is 622g (22oz). The Asi122mm mini camera is not in the photos as it's currently on my 50ED.

I haven't yet used this in anger so I can't say anything about tilt but I'm concerned about the strain on the whole imaging train.

Be grateful for any comments.

PXL_20231212_103014828-2.jpg

PXL_20231212_102940155-1.jpg

I side by side mount mine with the guide scope.

IMG_20210510_175250834_HDR.jpg.d34f2fa0eb29c2bc4118cbb7507cc2ac.thumb.jpg.13ceaa77f6a1655a2ca224b9becfcf4b.jpg

IMG_20210510_175318634_HDR.jpg.1c1756eea7b4cc735b12fc5ed4c495ee.thumb.jpg.129568989a286780f650d856d0f93f3a.jpg

So one of these:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dovetails-saddles-clamps/astro-essentials-mini-vixen-style-dovetail-clamp.html

and two of these 18cm dovtails:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dovetails-saddles-clamps/astro-essentials-dovetail-bars.html

The you can just mount side by side and balance in both directions. 

easy.

There is a second one here too that i am using to clamp it to the back of the esprit 100, ignore that one, its effectively your mounts vixen clamp equivalent. 

Adam

Edited by Adam J
  • Like 1

I try not to over think mounting issues. I'd be looking simply at bolting a flat alloy plate to the top of  the Vixen rail and drilling a few holes in it so all the components could be bolted side by side onto this plate. Nothing long or spindly and no 3D printing within a five mile radius.

Olly

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AKB said:

…and number ALL of your equipment assets??!

Impressive.  You have a spreadsheet or database, I take it?

Just the mobile imaging rig. So I don't get to the top of a mountain and find I am missing a USB cable. 

• Like 1