Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A few images of Jupiter with my Celsestron C11

Chrb1985

Its been a rough season. Spent a lot, actually too much on my astronomy hobby this year. Perfect weather alle spring and the first month of summer. Early June it basicly rained  or was totally clouded all the way too november.. i got one RGB set before the clouds rolled in, this was mid september. But my filter wheel did not work so all 3 was shot through red filter. After that i got one ok night, but not really a good result. But this month i got 2 good nights with ok results.

The scope is Celsestron C11, mount is Neq6pro controlled with EQMOD. Finder scope is Artsky 60mm with ZWO Asi 174mm mini camera. On the C11 i got Baader Diamond Startracker crayfordfocuser with the ZWO EAF mountet, ZWO Asi 290mm camera, modified Baader VIP Barlow and ZWO filter wheel with ZWO LRGB filters. Celsestron C11 devheater ring. Everything is controlled with the Primaluchelab Eagle 4 computer.

The color images are all mono RGB captured at around 150-200fps 70-90 % on histogram in firecapture, SER captured are all 45seconds and cropped with ROI to get higher frame rate. The black and white is just red filter.

The best 27% after stacking in autostakkert 4 were used and sharpend in Registax 6. RGB combined in Photoshop and derotated in WinJupos. After derotated the images were applied basic sharpening and denoising in Photoshop with despeckle, Nikcollection and dust and scratches.

Its only the last two that are derotated. The one with the moon is 3 sets of RGB derotated. The other one is 5 sets of RGB derotated.

The pictures are taken from Rendalen,  Norway mid country. About 250km north of the capital Oslo.

Hope you guys like it and can give me some feedback and tips to get EVERYTHING better. Im not very satisfied, even though its among the best ones i have captured. I kinda think they are about over processes and look a little to caroonish.

Clear skies!

2023-10-05-0052_4--reg.png

2023-09-02-0215_7-U-G-Jup_g5_ap30_convG-2023-01-09-RenaVangen.png

2023-12-02-2034_5-R_normalize_lapl4_ap41-rgb-1.png

Untitled-0-v21-1.png

Jupiter-02-12-2023-v2-2.png

Jupiter-05-12-2023-v5.png

Jupiter-05-12-2023-Derotated-v2.png

Jupiter-05-12-2023-Derotated-1.png

• Like 6

There are some excellent images here. The 1st (mono) one looks very noisy, so how many images did you stack in that one. The non derotated colour images look well processed with good colour balance, but I think you’ve push a bit too hard on both the derotated images, with the last one (5 RGB) being the better of those 2. All in all though you have a good well processed collection, so it’s probably a case of capturing in better seeing, which has been challenging for most of us this year and possibly will have been even more difficult from your further north, Norwegian location.

2 hours ago, geoflewis said:

There are some excellent images here. The 1st (mono) one looks very noisy, so how many images did you stack in that one. The non derotated colour images look well processed with good colour balance, but I think you’ve push a bit too hard on both the derotated images, with the last one (5 RGB) being the better of those 2. All in all though you have a good well processed collection, so it’s probably a case of capturing in better seeing, which has been challenging for most of us this year and possibly will have been even more difficult from your further north, Norwegian location.

Vi! Thanks for the feedback. I really cant rember. That was first light i thi k for the ZWO 290mm. And it was just a few minutes before the clouds came. So it was in a very hurry. I dont pay much attention to that one. Just included it.

As far as it goes for the rest. I also think it is largely due to bad seeing. I did get 2 more pictures ready yesterday. I think they came out pretty good. I will include them here. I also feel that the ones i already postet is overprocessed. I will restack and derotated and then go lighter on the processing. But right now im kinda exhausted from all the work. But please check out my last two pictures and tell me your thoughts :)

The first is another version of the above image. This time i only used 4 sets of RGB when derotating and i think i went a little lighter on the sharpening. I also used a different method of combining RGB in photoshop. So when i hit autocolor the color was straight away much better than before.

the second image is just 1set of RGB and i think that came out pretty nice!

Jupiter-04-12-2023-Derotated - 10.12.2023-finished.png

Jupiter-02-12-2023 - NEW FORMAT.png

These first one (with GRS) is still overprocessed, the 2nd one also but less so. They have some good details, so gentler handling should produce quite nice results. Would you be willing to share the unprocessed TIffs, so that I and others could take a look at what you're working with?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geoflewis said:

These first one (with GRS) is still overprocessed, the 2nd one also but less so. They have some good details, so gentler handling should produce quite nice results. Would you be willing to share the unprocessed TIffs, so that I and others could take a look at what you're working with?

Yes that would be greatly appreciated! Should i just post them here? Or i can share a folder on my Google drive maby? I guess there is some compression going on in this forum. Ill also include some screenshots of my autostakkert 4 settings. Ok?

This is just what i was hoping for. Thanks a bunch buddy:)

I will get to it right after work today.

4 hours ago, geoflewis said:

Okay so i gathered all the stacked data i found right now and compressed it to .zip formate and shared a folder on my google account. I will try to add it right here altso, but if its slow or not working just use the link.

The link to shared folder:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1fxOshmSR8pARpBGxPEBiVF25-XMcHiUq

Everyone is welcome to have a go! Feel free to upload the results to the drive folder or post them here. Thanks so much again for the help!

Stacked Unprocessed Jupiter C11 tif files - div dates.zip Stacked Unprocessed Jupiter C11 tif files - few more i forgot in the other collection.rar

5 hours ago, Chrb1985 said:

Everyone is welcome to have a go! Feel free to upload the results to the drive folder or post them here. Thanks so much again for the help!

Thanks for sharing the raw TIFs. I've reviewed most of them and I think that either your seeing was terrible, or your focus was off, or maybe a combination of both. There is very little detail recorded, so I've also had to push very hard in Registax to show the main features. I've only processed the data from 5 Dec, taking through WinJupos for derotation and building the RGB image. I then applied a light wavelets in Astrosurface and even then it's probably too much, but here it is for comparison with your version.

2023-12-05-2154_3-WJ-GDL-RGB_AS.jpg.2ea5e0f351a477708e2aa7cf050f18d5.jpg

9 hours ago, geoflewis said:

Thanks for sharing the raw TIFs. I've reviewed most of them and I think that either your seeing was terrible, or your focus was off, or maybe a combination of both. There is very little detail recorded, so I've also had to push very hard in Registax to show the main features. I've only processed the data from 5 Dec, taking through WinJupos for derotation and building the RGB image. I then applied a light wavelets in Astrosurface and even then it's probably too much, but here it is for comparison with your version.

2023-12-05-2154_3-WJ-GDL-RGB_AS.jpg.2ea5e0f351a477708e2aa7cf050f18d5.jpg

Thank you. I made another crack at it yesterday after noting your advices and here is the result. Im keeping it short, just have a few min before a meeting. 

Jupiter-05-12-2023 - NEW FORMAT -Derotated - resizeå.png

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Chrb1985 said:

Thank you. I made another crack at it yesterday after noting your advices and here is the result. Im keeping it short, just have a few min before a meeting. 

Jupiter-05-12-2023 - NEW FORMAT -Derotated - resizeå.png

Well done, in this version you’ve extracted what is available from the data set without over processing it. The main features are visible and the image has a nice smooth gaseous look to it.

• Thanks 1