Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observing jupiter

I've seen the Galilean moons and 2-4 cloud bands (depending on the observing conditions) on Jupiter many times with my old 60mm refractor. I never had a convincing view of the red spot with that scope though but I was very inexperienced back then though and may well not have recognised it if I had seen it 🙄

Edited by John

I remember when I started back in the hobby a couple of decades ago that Jupiter was just a painfully bright, featureless disk in my 102mm scope. One of the mistakes I was making was waiting to be dark adapted - firstly your night vision doesn't have any sense of color, and secondly of course dark adaptation makes the planet seem too bright. These days I actually keep the outside lights on when looking at planets, and periodically glance over to my brightly lit porch just to make sure I am not dark adapting.

Another thing to avoid is too much magnification - this simply makes the planet dimmer and colors more muted. I would expect the 4mm eyepiece would be too much for many observers. A 10mm eyepiece would be my choice I think...

One final thing - when Jupiter is in focus, the planet's disk will be at its smallest size. If you turn the focuser and the planet gets bigger, you are moving away from best focus.

Edited by Ags
  • Like 4

I don't know why but I have always used my left eye when observing through a telescope, ever since I was 10 (now 55). Not only does it just feel more comfortable but I can see a lot more detail using my dominant left eye. With my right I can't even keep my head in the correct position at the eyepiece and if switching from left to right, the view of Jupiter in the right eye is just a very bright blob, whereas using the left reveals all the delicate details that my optics and sky conditions have to offer. I don't think there is much difference between my left and right eye, it's just that over all these years I have trained my left eye to see and it makes a big difference. I mention all of this as it just goes to show that perseverance with observing is key and if you just keep going you will eventually train your eye to pick up the slightest hints of detail that are right on the threshold of visibility. Telescopic observation, especially planetary, is a skill that requires practice to develop but over time you will notice that you are seeing more and more at the eyepiece.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Franklin said:

I don't know why but I have always used my left eye when observing through a telescope, ever since I was 10 (now 55). Not only does it just feel more comfortable but I can see a lot more detail using my dominant left eye. With my right I can't even keep my head in the correct position at the eyepiece and if switching from left to right, the view of Jupiter in the right eye is just a very bright blob, whereas using the left reveals all the delicate details that my optics and sky conditions have to offer. I don't think there is much difference between my left and right eye, it's just that over all these years I have trained my left eye to see and it makes a big difference. I mention all of this as it just goes to show that perseverance with observing is key and if you just keep going you will eventually train your eye to pick up the slightest hints of detail that are right on the threshold of visibility. Telescopic observation, especially planetary, is a skill that requires practice to develop but over time you will notice that you are seeing more and more at the eyepiece.

I'm a left eye observer as well and always have been. When I did archery we had to establish our dominant eye for aiming and that was the left as well. I have occasionally tried with my right eye and had similar results to yourself. I put that down to lack of use of the right for astronomy purposes whereas the left has had 40+ years of practice🤔

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Franklin said:

21 minutes ago, John said:

I'm a left eye observer as well and always have been. When I did archery we had to establish our dominant eye for aiming and that was the left as well. I have occasionally tried with my right eye and had similar results to yourself. I put that down to lack of use of the right for astronomy purposes whereas the left has had 40+ years of practice🤔

Some say keep both eyes open when observing the observing eye is more relaxed… apparently. If you find it difficult then covering your none observing eye with your free hand or using an eye-patch may help. I am also a ‘lefty’. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ed in UK said:

Just keep practising and follow the useful guidnace and advice others are posting.

I read loads about moon & shadow transists on Jupiter, GRS transits, details on/in storm belts, barges and festoons....... but I'm still yet to seen any details as good as this. For me I'm still practsing myself but one day we'll both get there. Imagine the satisfaction you'll have after that session. 🙂

yeah lol, good luck!

14 hours ago, bingevader said:

We were out in school the week before last and found Jupiter and it's 4 moons in 'scope ranging from 90mm to 200m.

Should be more than possible in a 127mm.

Have you tried looking at the moon?

Might be worth trying to set up your 'scope on something that's relatively easy to find and focus on.

If you can point the finderscope at the moon and it's slap bag in the middle of the field of view of the eyepiece then you are half way there.

If not, move the 'scope around until the moon is in the middle, then centre the finderscope as people have described above.

If you can up the magnification and do the same again (on a crater or the terminator, where the edge disappears into blackness), then you will should have adjusted the finder enough to find small objects like Jupiter.

yeah i got the moon quite sharp in my eyepiece

On 06/12/2023 at 10:49, phantomgod_06 said:

yeah i got the moon quite sharp in my eyepiece

Excellent! And so, if the moon is also slap bang in the middle of the finderscope, you should be able to find Jupiter. :)

Edited by bingevader
  • Like 1