Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eyepiece

Hi guys, new to this stargazing after buying an Celestron 130EQ MD which comes with a x10 and x20 eyepiece. Are these more than capable of looking at planets ( within reason ) or do I need what I’ve been reading about with a Barlow 2 and Barlow 3 or 5. 
So much information is confusing want to experience the joy of stargazing but before taking a lunge into buying more expensive gear just want the necessities. 
Thank you in advance for any help.

Hi Kalin,

Welcome to SGL and I hope you have lots of clear skies with which to enjoy your new scope. 

The simple answer is that your 10mm e/p will let you see something, but it won't be quite good enough to really see detail on a planet. 

Generally speaking you should be looking for magnification of x150 - x200 and the maximum you'll get with the 10mm e/p will be x65. You'll need to double or triple the magnification by either using a x2 or x3 barlow or get a 5mm or a 3.2mm e/p. 

Good quality models of such e/ps are expensive but  give it a go with what you've got and then decide whether it's worth spending more money. 

Good luck. 

• Like 1

Just to be clear they are not 10x and 20x eyepeices.  The 10 and 20 refers to their focal lengths in mm.  To calculate the magnification they will produce in your scope, you divide the focal length of the telescope (in this case 650mm)  by the eyepiece focal length so you will have 32.5x and 65x with the two supplied eyepieces.  If the scope is well collimated, the 65x will show some modest detail but you will need a shorter focal length eyepiece to get the magnification up a bit more to really start getting a satisfying view of the planets.

A barlow is one option but it will only "create" 3 eyepeices as the 20mm becomes 10mm (assuming 2x barlow) and the 10mm becomes 5mm.  Do not buy a really cheap one  as it may have plastic lenses and perform very poorly but that is not to say you need to spend a fortune either.  The alternative is to buy a shorter eyepiece.  Something around 4 to 5mm would be a decent choice. 

Edited by DirkSteele
typo

Hi thanks for information really appreciate it is there any you can recommend for me I want to take it seriously and I know you get what you pay for but money being an issue what’s the best of the cheapest. 

24 minutes ago, Kalin said:

Hi thanks for information really appreciate it is there any you can recommend for me I want to take it seriously and I know you get what you pay for but money being an issue what’s the best of the cheapest. 

Basically, you have two options:

1. This is what many people do. They buy good quality cheap EPs, like the Starguider range. After a bit of experience, most start to upgrade these to something with a wider field of view. An example would be the Baader Morpheus range, which I find to be excellent.

2. Go straight to something like a Morpheus. This sounds expensive but constant upgrading is even more so.

Since as you say, money is an issue, option one might be best. Also check out OVL Nirvanas.

2 hours ago, bosun21 said:

The BST Starguider range of eyepieces and barlows are good quality and reasonably priced.

These are sold under several different brand names.  I have Agena and Astrotech branded ones (about $US 60) and I feel they're good quality for the money.  You can always sell them to recover some of the cost if you want to upgrade later.  I particularly like Vixen SLVs (about $US 175).

If you go to the Cloudy Nights eyepieces forum, user Starman1 posts an Excel sheet that lists specs for a boatload of EPs.  Actually, he might have posted around here as well. 

Edited by jjohnson3803
  • Like 1

Hi @Kalin and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

If you mainly enjoy lunar and planetary viewing and want an exceptionally well made and well priced zoom e/p, then the Svbony SV215 3-8mm zoom could be just what you need. Plenty of reviews here... 

and on other forums. I have one plus the TeleVue Nagler 3-6mm zoom. Hard to tell which is the better zoom IMHO. :thumbsup:

We need a guide on the budget to go on.

One may need to mix and match EP's as not all in the same range are all good.

Probably the best budget wider view EP's above supplied one's are the bst starguiders  which use the same glass as the celestron xcel- lx.

The  25mm in the bst is regarded as being the weak link.

BST StarGuider Telescope Eyepieces for Sale Online | First Light Optics

Slightly cheaper are the vixen npl's but with less wide view.

Vixen Telescope Eyepieces for Sale Online | First Light Optics

Cheaper still are the plossl's below if one is wanting a lot cheaper.

Astro Essentials Super Plossl Eyepiece | First Light Optics

Edited by Naughty Neal

For planets then the svbony 3-8 zoom will cover at least six individual higher power EP's, if one can get it cheap in the sales.

The  5mm bst is regarded as a nice High power EP and the 8mm as mid/high power in the range.

5mm will give 130x, 8mm/81x.

For lower power the 25 or 30 npl .

25mm/26x & 30mm/21x , one would only need one or the other for wide views.

On the used market Meade 4000 plossls are worth a shout if one can snag them for under £30.

A meade 4000 32mm 52 degree EP will allow slightly more of the sky (fov) to be seen then a 60 degree 25mm EP.

Edited by Naughty Neal

Guys you are all very kind in giving me your valuable feedback but being a COMPLETE NOVICE to all this you all lost me after eyepiece with the different lenses and mm I’m willing to spend upto 30 pounds if this could buy me anything to enhance my experience. Long story short but I was nearly killed 7years ago in a oxygen cylinder explosion subsequently I didn’t but nearly lost my leg and so after 7 years 8 operations to rebuild my leg and my mental health this is something to give my brain a good kicking.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kalin said:

Guys you are all very kind in giving me your valuable feedback but being a COMPLETE NOVICE to all this you all lost me after eyepiece with the different lenses and mm I’m willing to spend upto 30 pounds if this could buy me anything to enhance my experience. Long story short but I was nearly killed 7years ago in a oxygen cylinder explosion subsequently I didn’t but nearly lost my leg and so after 7 years 8 operations to rebuild my leg and my mental health this is something to give my brain a good kicking.

I apologize in advance if this is something you've already done.

It might be helpful for you to pick up something like "The Backyard Astronomers Guide"

https://www.amazon.com/Backyard-Astronomers-Guide-Terence-Dickinson/dp/0228103274/ref=asc_df_0228103274/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=509199198673&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14323910420714989210&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9021369&hvtargid=pla-1212477164638&psc=1&mcid=91c76ac3872a3a90828ff83ac3e6e911&gclid=CjwKCAiApaarBhB7EiwAYiMwqqVir_SszgyeuVhIJ14Ib5TqRgqL9n2vUz1-vsjTVadgKDtnreX0kRoCWPAQAvD_BwE

There are many other boks that are also good at explaining answers to the questions you have.

Another thing that would help is if you can find an astronomy club near enough to you that you can visit or join. Most members are more than happy to help out. You will probably also get to see and even try different eyepieces. Some actually have loaners for people to try.

Clear Skies!

Edited by bwj

You can get more milage if you buy used BST Starguiders come up cheaper but aren't bad for their price new. New Vixen NPLs are also priced decent, I've only used the 30mm which was excellent.

I have used a few of the plossls like the Astro Essentials, Revelation, GSO, Skywatcher ones. They are a modest step up in performance from the "stock" eyepieces supplied with scopes.

They can be bought used for £15 - £25 apiece. 

Out of the two EP's you already have one expects the 20mm may be the better so you would be better to buy a higher power EP for closer views.

How many you can afford we don't know, but suggest an EP in the 8mm  - 10mm range if only one is bought.

2 hours ago, Naughty Neal said:

Out of the two EP's you already have one expects the 20mm may be the better

Unfortunately, the Astromaster Newtonians come with those erecting 20mm eyepieces that only have about 40° fields. I would suggest that it would be very useful to get something with a wider field of view to help with finding objects. A 30/32mm Plossl will give the widest possible FoV but perhaps with a background that is a bit grey in light polluted skies. Another option would be a 23mm SvBony Aspheric which is very cheap due to the plastic construction and lenses but optically quite a nice eyepiece. They are available on Amazon/eBay but currently Aliexpress has what looks like a good deal. I think the 10mm is also a good performer, but the 4mm is not so good.

In terms of barlows a 2X barlow would give a larger (hopefully better) view of the planets with either the stock 10mm or the Aspheric. The Astro Essentials barlow is another item that is optically very good. It is available under a variety of different brandings, most cheaply directly from China through eBay or Aliexpress. If it looks the same as the Astro Essentials one, it is the same barlow.

In an ideal world I think the 2x barlow, 5/8/12mm BST Starguiders and the 23mm Aspheric would make a good set, but new Starguiders are over budget and would have to be sourced as and when they turn up on the second hand market.

Edited by Ricochet
  • Like 1

Hi everyone with my Celestron EQ130 with it’s 10 and 20mm e/p it seems my budget centres around the plossl e/p’s to get the views of some of the planets and nebulae would a X? eyepiece be sufficient or a smaller mm eyepiece 

As per my advice in your previous thread your best bet for planetary views is to buy a 2x barlow like this Astro Essentials one. You can save money buy buying this exact same barlow with any other brand name, or the Celestron Omni, direct from China on eBay. With your telescope you ideally want a 4 or 5mm eyepiece for viewing the planets but Plossl eyepieces this short have even smaller eye relief which is not comfortable so you can use a barlow with a longer focal length eyepiece to get the same magnification in a more comfortable manner. You already have a 10mm so with a 2X barlow this is the same as a 5mm eyepiece. When funds allow you could also upgrade to a slightly better 10mm or buy another eyepiece.

For nebulae and other DSOs longer focal lengths (lower magnifications) are needed and in terms of pure focal lengths the supplied eyepieces are ok, but I would advise widening your maximum field of view with a 32mm Plossl or 23mm SvBony Aspheric. A 12.5mm Plossl might be a slightly better all round focal length than the 10mm for this which with a 3X barlow instead of the previously suggested 2X would emulate a 4mm eyepiece for the Planets.

You have had some good suggestions above, but £30ish will seriously restrict your choice.

If you don't mind ordering from abroad, there are a couple of other options.

If you can stretch to £37, you could replace your 10mm stock eyepiece with one of these: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006018468922.html
It has a 60 degree field of view (like the Starguiders) and gives a good, sharp image with minimal distortions. As has been mentioned already, it would only give x65 in your scope, so you would still need a Barlow lens to give decent views on the planets.

Or, for around £28, you could get this zoom: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005756520671.html
(there are three different models under the one listing - I'm talking about the 7-21mm version)
A zoom gives you a whole range of magnifications in one unit, and is very handy if you're on a budget.  I've not used this particular one, but it has had some good reviews. This would give you a decent magnification range of around x31 to x93, but for planets you would still want to combine it with a Barlow on good evenings, where you can use higher magnification.

• Like 1