SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ASKAR 103 APO ON STELLA LYRA ALTAZ MOUNT.

This arrived this morning.  The mount is FLOs version of the SkyTee 11 of course.  There are some minor differences, but I'll leave those until I write a review.

The important thing is, it appears steady as a rock, and we'll within the mounts capacity.    It doesn't need the counterweight - I was just trying it out.

Far more convenient than a GEQ for visual observations for me - especially when using the Starsense Explorer.

Me buying this mount has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that it can take the weight of some of the 103s larger  cousins!

20231129_112528.thumb.jpg.c0eaf5b4ae080b294b83aaade6e30803.jpg

Edited by paulastro
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, paulastro said:

This arrived this morning.  The mount is FLOs version of the SkyTee 11 of course.  There are some minor differences, but I'll leave those until I write a review.

The important thing is, it appears steady as a rock, and we'll within the mounts capacity.    It doesn't need the counterweight - I was just trying it out.

Far more convenient than a GEQ for visual observations for me - especially when using the Starsense Explorer.

Me buying this mount has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that it can take the weight of some of the 103s larger  cousins!

20231129_112528.thumb.jpg.c0eaf5b4ae080b294b83aaade6e30803.jpg

Can you stop this now please? My resistance is beginning to crumble! My credit card is trembling! :tongue:

• Haha 1

That's a great setup and they are capable mounts. Mine (a Skytee II) carries my ED120 with ease and has handled my 130mm F/9.2 from time to time. I do use counterweights for the 130 but the ED120 does not need them.

The colour scheme of the Askar looks nicer in real life than it does in the promotional shots 🙂

Edited by John
  • Like 1

Thanks John. I had owned one many many years ago - perhaps as many as 25 years if they've been around that long.

My recollection is that they were more 'industrial' at that time.  Some aspects seem to have been improved over the years, and it seems a bit smarter than I recall my original one being.  It's certainly very sturdy, Hopefully I'll be able to put it through its paces tonight - but the omens are good.

• Like 1

Lovely setup! :) I have received my own SkyTee a few Moons ago as well and I like it so far. It's been carrying my 8" Cassegrain, but found that it was slightly wobbly at this magnification. I also had to upgrade the saddle to a dual Losmandy/Vixen one, which is a nice upgrade IMO. 

I like the fact you can mount 3 scopes on it. I purchased a little saddle you can mount to the counterweight bar. It looks like an anti aircraft cannon! But pretty cool for a star party :) 

• Like 1