SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ASIair app version

groberts

Just about to embark on using the ASIair plus using an Android tablet and wanted to ask:

1. What is the newest version of the app I should be using - seems to be v2.1 on the ZWO website but doesn't say which in the Google Play app library? 
  2. Anythiung else I need to know / problems others have encountered dowloading and setting up the app?

Thanks.

Graham

It says v2.1 10.74 on Google play, there is a newer beta out which has just been released but the former is the current official as of earlier this year.

Note, for me anyway this and v2.0 has caused me many issues across all the different versions of the air, many people don't have issues so luck of the draw I suppose. But I have been using them for around three years so know how well v1.9 of the app and associated air firmwares were before the updates, next to no issues with that one.

Downloading and installing is fine. If it's a new air you need to register the unit, this sometimes causes people issues as they don't have WiFi and cellular connection on at the same time (you need WiFi to connect to the air, and cell to register). Took me one or two tries but a quick internet search and all was good.

• Like 1

I have ver 2.1 (10.74) running on Blue Stacks on my laptop and it seems to be working well with no dramas.  Been a wee while since I installed it, think it was straightforward without any secret handshakes or howling at the moon required :)  Good luck with it, it's an excellent bit of kit.

Jim  

Edited by saac
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Elp said:

If it's a new air you need to register the unit, this sometimes causes people issues as they don't have WiFi and cellular connection on at the same time (you need WiFi to connect to the air, and cell to register). Took me one or two tries but a quick internet search and all was good.

Sorry but what do you mean by 'cell connection'?

Your mobile phone data connection. It needs a way to access the internet whilst also being WiFi connected to the air in order to register/activate the device on the first use. Once done you don't need to do this again.

• Like 1

A mobile phone works by connecting wirelessly to cellular towers around the country, hence the name cellphone or cell connection. In order for a mobile phone to access the internet is uses a different cellular frequency to that of voice calls and SMS text messages so this uses what is commonly known as a data connection. If you look in your phone settings there is a separate enabling switch to turn data connection on and off as it can incur charges for use as with anything you use, it's usually on by default.

So your phones data connection needs to be on as signified by an icon at the top of the screen it might be 3G (old system)/H (HSDPA), 4G/LTE/5G. You'll know if it's on if the internet works on your phone when you're trying to access a website and you're NOT connected to your home router WiFi network.

So on your phone both data and WiFi need to be on. You connect to the air via WiFi settings. You open the asiair app on your phone and go through the prompts it tells you. If it's a new air you have to register the device via QR code which you take with your phone's camera, this is where data needs to be on on your phone so once you've pointed the camera at the airs QR code it accesses the internet and activates the air automatically or tells you to click on an internet link. You can then continue using the asiair app to interface with the air once it's activated.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

I downloaded the APK from the ZWO website as it appears to be a larger file size than what's on the Google play store so I wonder what/why has the Play store version been trimmed smaller? I seen on the FB site that people had issues with the Play version that appeared to be resolved by installing the larger file from ZWO. If you do go that route then after installing, Play will still recognise it so untick the option to auto update.