Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ASKAR 103 TRIPLET - PRELIMINARY REVIEW.

This review is the same one I have  posted on FLO's website under the telescopes listing.  I'll update it here as I've more experience using it.

was looking for a four inch apo for visual use to compliment my 10inch Starsense Explorer Dob, and 80mm ED doublet ((Altair 80 ED-R). I had owned a 102 Tecnosky F7 previously - FPL53 and Lanthanum doublet - which came from the same stable as the Starfield and several others. I was very pleased with the Tecnosky, very sharp images, good contrast and virtually no CA to note.. So, the natural thing to do was buy the well respected⁷ Starfield version with the same optics of the Tecnosky.

I though I'd check out the current crop of 102 apos anyway, I couldn't see anything that looked better than the Starfield - and then I happened to come across an ad for the new Askar 103 triplet. Here was a triplet with all the extra features (including two finder feet fitted, a handle with the capacity to add more finders/accessories if necessary, binoviewer friendly, graduated field rotator, 3.5 inch R&P focuser, a case etc). All this for a triplet only about £100 more than the Starfield. I had set my heart on a four inch that would be at least on a par with the Starfield, Tecnosky etc range of doublets in terms of optical quality.

There is little on line about this scope yet as a visual instrument, but there are a few good reviews on imaging with it on u-tube and other places. They all seemed fairly positive to me, and Askar has a good, if young, pedigree, so I took the plunge and placed my order.

I've had the scope since Nov 1st and have had about nine hours with it under the stars. So how is it doing?

The fit and finish of the scope is excellent and is of a high standard. The sliding dew shield, focuser and image rotator work very well. Attention to detail is very good, it even comes with two finder screws on the handle which fit into two holes at the ends of the dovetail to stop it slipping through an untightened clamp. The handle is very sturdy and has numerous holes to fit accessories to it, and along with the two finder feet (and two multiple finder adapters I already have) makes it possible to attach accessories in at least nine positions.

This is particularly helpful for me as it makes it very easy to adapt to use the excellent Starsense Explorer push to location system which I have already used with it.

Now the important bit - the optics. I need not have worried, the views I have had indicate they are of a high quality, and certainly are worthy of a very good triplet - if used visually or for imaging. The sharpness, and contrast on Jupiter and the Moon have been very good indeed, despite less than ideal conditions. One morning when the GRS was in view and also Ganymede and its shadow was particularly memorable. Star images are really tight, and I was surprised with the number of faint background stars visible when looking at some deep sky objects. The Orion nebula showed greatly detail in swathes of swirling nebulosity with the background a lovely inky blackness. The colour of stars were also very evident for a four inch scope. The most surprising thing to me was when I observed Vega one night. Admittedly it was at a high altitude - though the seeing was not great. When I focused in on it with my 12.5 Morpheus it was reduced to a beautifully small and pure white airy disk. I watched it for several minutes, and it did not vary in appearance, I knew then I had made a good choice.

One thing, it is a fairly hefty scope compared with a doublet, coming in at 6K / 13.5 lbs with rings, dovetail, handle and a 1 25 inch prism - no finder. I was using it on an AZ5, fine up to about x100 but difficult as you increase the mag. past this. It deserves more stability if you intend to use it to its full capacity. To this end I have just bought a used Vixen GP which is on the way!

In use, straight out the house, I had no problems with it taking a long time to cool down. If you do have any problems - it's worth the wait!

Finally, when I tried to remove the section of tube off to put it in bino or reducer-mode, I couldn't grip the tube hard enough to undo it. I now own a strap wrench which did the trick!

Summary so far - Great build quality, great optics, very versatile and amazing value.20231101_105549.thumb.jpg.e7275c6d898044359e08124e9e95cdf8.jpg

20231101_110001.thumb.jpg.14f4968492037cd59fd62fe4f9fb1e28.jpg

20231102_115328.thumb.jpg.d0ae426dddd983ef04733695ff82985d.jpg

20231107_144827.thumb.jpg.38c12840e28da379c5ca6d8cf4c13c97.jpg

20231101_110104.thumb.jpg.5f043958861157d6ec2dc79ae2a4e87d.jpg

20231102_113413.thumb.jpg.4fa6ce1c77839deb3d25b977e6eefbb1.jpg

20231101_105549.jpg

20231107_144827.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Nice report Paul. I have also been attracted to this scope, partly due to its BV friendliness. I am assuming that with the removable section, you can use the BV without a GPC/Barlow, meaning you can get nice low power views? 

Edited by RobertI
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, RobertI said:

Nice report Paul. I have also been attracted to this scope, partly due to its BV friendliness. I am assuming that with the removable section, you can use the BV without a GPC/Barlow, meaning you can get nice low power views? 

Hi Robert.

Yes, that's correct.  In actual practice I'll probably rarely take the section off for binoviewing - I tend to reserve BV for the Moon and planets.

I didn't mention it, but the focus travel is 100mm, plenty enough to get focus with just about any eyepiece type I would have thought.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1